Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Miami of Ohio vs. Ohio State Pre-Med

2»

Replies to: Miami of Ohio vs. Ohio State Pre-Med

• KorianderKoriander Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    With close reading one can see that that OP posted "I have to stay at a regional campus for my first year" meaning after freshman year he/she can transfer to the main campus, where there is in fact a med school. Not sure this is the best choice but this is clearly what the OP meant.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid Posts: 83,487 Forum Champion
    ^^^
    Ah, thanks...missed that.

I would hate to have to transfer after only one year to another school. You miss out on so much of the "freshman bonding" that goes on during Year One.

I think the student should go all four years at Miami. Go to Orientation, do the Welcome Freshman icebreakers, make friends, settle in, and have a great four years.
  • cadriethielcadriethiel Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    I think attending a school that has many research and volunteering opportunities is easier. It requires less work on the part of the student. At every school/location, you can find great opportunities if you are pro-active enough. I went to a rural liberal arts college where the focus was on undergrads over grad students. This had its pros and cons. On one hand, I worked one-on-one with my professors in the lab. I never did any grunt work and I knew the professors well and they were the ones who inspired me and taught me to love research and science. Ultimately, it was easy for me to get great recommendations for medical school. On the other hand, my classmates who attended universities attached to good medical schools (e.g. Yale, Harvard, Michigan, Northwestern) worked in famous laboratories on some amazing, cutting edge projects. They had access to many resources I didn't and their pre-med advisors were incredibly informative and helpful. It was easier for them to volunteer and shadow physicians. You should decide what matters to you and try to find a school that will help you be a success.

The choice of undergraduate school is a very personal one, and there are successful stories from the many different paths people choose.

PS I don't think Princeton is a very fair example. Its an extreme, and has a tremendous amount of cutting-edge research there that enriches the students experiences.
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    Miami is great for pre-med opprotunities, better than many other schools. there is no reason whatsoever to think that Miami UG is worse place for pre-med than top colleges, including Harvard. When graduates of these schools are placed in the same class at Med. School, they do the same, they are NOT inferior in any way and seem to be better off in personal growth area, having well rounded experiences in UG. The same is probably is very true for OSU.
    My comment is based on D's experience. I would not make any hypothetical comments.
2»
This discussion has been closed.