Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Personal Statement

Charlie765Charlie765 Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
edited May 2013 in Pre-Med Topics
Hey Guys,

I am writing my personal statement for an internship that focuses on exposing pre-med students to a medical environment.

The essay question is why do you want to become a doctor.
Now I have a pretty good idea of what I want to say but I would like some advice on things that I should include and things I shouldn't include. Also any general advice would be helpful.
Thank you

Should I include my GPA?
Award/Honors?
Clubs?
Past clinical experience I am definitely adding but what about the above questions? should I include these as well?
Post edited by Charlie765 on

Replies to: Personal Statement

• kal123kal123 Registered User Posts: 507 Member
    The essay question is why do you want to become a doctor.
    You will have to answer this question many a time in future. Never too late getting going on that :D

You should definitely include your past clinical experience. If it is a competitive situation it wouldn't hurt to try and slide in those awards some how.
  • i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Forum Champion Brown Posts: 8,168 Forum Champion
    Only if it fits in with the story you're telling. I find it hard to believe GPA will, plus by the time anyone reads your essay your GPA has already been deemed good enough by the automated screening process.
  • IcarusIcarus Registered User Posts: 4,336 Senior Member
    I would say that you should never include GPA in a personal statement. As for other things like honors, clubs, etc, Brown's advice is spot on. Only if they fit in the story you're telling with your statement. I know there can be a strong urge to put everything in your PS, but all that does it make it sound like your CV which is what, well, your CV is for.
This discussion has been closed.