Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

UC Davis VS. San Francisco State or Cal State Long Beach

tennischamp101tennischamp101 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited June 2013 in Pre-Med Topics
Hello,

I’ve never made a post here, so please bear with me. I have been attending DVC for 3.5 years and I have been pursuing a major in Molecular Cellular Biology recently I applied to UC’s and wasn’t admitted because my GPA is a 3.15, I have exceptional extra curricular activities and have been the president of many clubs and have recently been studying under a mid wife and work at the county hospital. I called every UC I applied to and they told me I was “a borderline candidate and that they were only accepting students who exceeded the minimum qualifications”. I’m now taking a speech class over the summer, which is the last pre-rec needed to transfer to a state college.

Here is my dilemma, and where I am seeking the input from all of you. :)
This fall I will be able to apply and will be accepted to San Francisco State or Cal State Long Beach for Spring admissions in my major of Molecular Cellular Biology. So I will now just have a gap semester this fall.
Or
Since I will already have a gap semester I can take the last 5 classes I would need to major in Political Science at UC Davis. –Most of the general ed courses I took were already pre-recs for a political science major and taking the other courses will increase my GPA so I can TAG for the Fall of 2014.

What would be the better option a BS from a Cal Sate University or a BA from a UC?
In the long run I would like to go to medical school. I so going to a UC in Poli sci could increase my GPA more and then having taken all the science classes at DVC I will have finished all the pre-recs for medical school. But I don’t know what would be the best option at this point.

-Thank you,
Stuck at a Crossroad
Post edited by tennischamp101 on

Replies to: UC Davis VS. San Francisco State or Cal State Long Beach

• bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 25,032 Senior Member
    For med school, you will need to take upper division science courses at your 4-year (to validate those DVC grades). And the best place to take those upper division science couses is a UC. (Sorry.)
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 69,245 Senior Member
    However, you will likely be able to major in political science and have elective space to take some upper division biology and/or chemistry courses at the four year school you transfer to.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid Posts: 83,489 Forum Champion
    Those poly sci classes aren't going to raise your important BCMP GPA.

The fact that your GPA is modest at a CC may be a problem for med schools unless you take higher level courses at a UC or CSU and really ace them.

This fall I will be able to apply and will be accepted to San Francisco State or Cal State Long Beach for Spring admissions in my major of Molecular Cellular Biology. So I will now just have a gap semester this fall.

??? Do those CSUs accept spring admits for transfers? I was thinking that they don't, but maybe I'm confused?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid Posts: 83,489 Forum Champion
    I think you need to get yourself into a UC.

What is Merced saying? I'm surprised it didn't accept you.

I think Merced is a good option and this is why:

Small, so more like a private univ
    Small, so you might get more help to improve your GPA and get some research opps and good LORs.
    Likely easier to improve your GPA
  • bbbranbbbran Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    Definitely a UC
  • mcat2mcat2 Registered User Posts: 5,942 Senior Member
    This thread reminds me of a post on SDN:

A med school applicant who was graduated from a not well known college was interviewed at a first tier med school in midwest, likely due to his other excellent qualification (e.g. Very high MCAT). His college might have not sent any student to a med school before, let alone a first tier one (likely U of Mich).

Before the interview started, there was a round table session in which each interviewee introduced himself. He posted on SDN that he felt he were a salesman of cheap used car (to sell himself to the med school) and felt somewhat discouraged when most interviewees were from a more recognizable school or "brand name" school.

When people said the prestige of the school does not matter , I think they meant the school does not have to be a top-30 or even 50. But the school should be still recognizable in the sense that an adcom might think: yeah, I have admitted a couple of students from this school in recent years and they were good. In other word, the school had better had a good track record of sending a reasonable number of their premeds to medical school year after year. Otherwise, it is more an uphill battle.

I think in term of academics, the preparation of being a successful premed really start before college. This is the reason why many less prepared students from a less competitive high school are more likely to be weed out - they were not given time to catch up.
This discussion has been closed.