Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How to know the PreMed college that gives the Best GPA

Replies to: How to know the PreMed college that gives the Best GPA

• WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,664 Senior Member
    @parentofs

Duke has seen a good deal of grade inflation over the past 2 decades. The average GPA of a Duke grad is now 3.45.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2009/03/17/gpas-have-steadily-risen-over-decades
    Also, are these data pertains to only MD. Or DO also included here?

AMCAS data only deal with MD admissions. School data can include anything they choose to include. There's no standardization about how data are reported.

• artloversplusartloversplus Registered User Posts: 8,430 Senior Member
    For pre-med student, it would be better if the student attends an UG school where that student's Stats are higher than the most of the crowd. If that is the case, then we ASSUME (3.8GPA+32MCAT) makes a better MD applicant compared to (3.4GPA+32MCAT) and (3.2GPA+32MCAT).

That is a good assumption, but a 3.8 GPA student with 36MCAT will assure him get into a med school. Your S may consider to take a full summer plus a gap quarter/semester to prepare for it. And why ECU not a college like Rochester or Syracuse? RU give very high scholarships to IVY quality students. In addition Bama will give more than full ride to high stats.

@stemary,
    This is the first time I have heard that Pritzker likes their own UG graduates, if you go to UofC board, the negatives running on Pritzker against taking its own UG graduates are pretty high.
    Yes, the research opportunity at UofC is unparalleled, D in her 4 years time had published two major research papers. We were impressed her name was in the displace case at the lab.
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    ^Incorrect way to choose the UG. You are concern with 2 things: first and foremost is the personal match, your personality and wide range of interest should match offerings at UG. Second huge consideration (unless you have unlimited resources) is the cost. Full tuition or close is prefferred if considering Medical School. Then do you best and do not think that if you choose some very low ranked, unknown local 4 year college, your will glide thru getting your As. YOU WILL NOT. You still will have to work very hard. Do not also assume that many Ivy caliber do not end up going to these lower ranked colleges. Cehck out Honors colleges, they are filled with valedictorians and many are from rigorous private schools. You will have plenty of competition no matter where you go, so do not be concerned with this one way or another. In regard to Pritzker, pecifically, apply bu be prepared to get rejected after you make you application fee payment. That is what happens to most, including those who are accepted at other top 20s, including but not limited to Northwestern Feinberg. Nobody knows exactly what Pritzker is looking for. Many apply only because of "why not if I am applying to Norhtwestern anyway".
    Opprotunity for Research is absolutely everywhere, including very long time commitments in both UG and Medical school. Do not be very impressed with some specific school. The are opprotunities for "first author" designation, conferences,.....etc.
  • parentofsparentofs Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    Thank you. Thank you.
  • Jugulator20Jugulator20 Registered User Posts: 1,419 Senior Member
    Unfortunately you get only one chance to attend UG, so one has to make the right decision based on the known facts.

I apologize for the length.

If a student is accepted to any particular college, I assume that the powers to be at the college have made a decision based on their review of an application that a student, at least on paper, should be able to handle the college’s curriculum. Once offered admission, the final decision to attend a particular college should include other factors including but not limited to things like cost, location, and opportunities offered by any one college, etc. Just as, probably more importantly, and referenced in several other posts above, a student should try to go to college where he/she will thrive, be happy, etc. This can be truly difficult to ascertain in advance as questions about whether a student can handle living on their own; whether a student can successfully time manage on their own; whether they can handle new peer pressures; whether they can deal with terrible profs; whether they can handle.…the myriad of issues that will crop up in every college student’s life, etc; the answers all to which are yet unknown or poorly defined.

My point is it seems like a waste of time to be giving any, even elevated weight, to the “known fact” of the GPAs of current/past students of a particular college in determining where a student should attend college for the best shot at med school. It seems as if you’re seeking some magic formula. To think that students at some college have “X” GPA, I know my S/D will get “X” or better GPA at some college because he/she is of the same/higher/lower caliber equals the best choice for med school.

The road to med school is littered with bright wide eyed premed hopefuls. I suspect other people can provide more accurate numbers but I’ll guess that 130-140K??? students typically show up the first day of college every year claiming to be “premed”, 80-90K (including repeaters) actually end up taking the MCAT, with 40-50K actually applying, with around 19K actually get accepted to at least one med school. Whether they’re one of these 19K will be how any one student successfully navigates or not the many issues they have yet to encounter and not be because of other student’s GPAs. I would argue that the actual formula is student starts as premed at some college plus 18 year old thrust into unknown environment equals will never start med school.

This thread kind of reminds me what my wife often tells me, happy wife is happy life. If med school is your S’s goal, I’d say the same thing applies to a student in college, happy S (not other students GPAs) will give him best shot at med school.

• WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,664 Senior Member
    ^^^

Great post!

I concur with everything Jugulator20 just said.
  • parentofsparentofs Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    Nice to hear different opinions. Thank you all.
    Frankly, this came out of my D's mouth when she was choosing her UG: "I will do fine anywhere".
    As I keep saying, attitude is everything. Her attitude has proven to be correct. Self-reliency is always a winner. Whatever one chooses, just do your best and you will achieve your goal. Pre-med is very hard, but it is NOT a rocket science. Hard work will prevail, no genius is required.
  • stmarys14stmarys14 Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    edited May 2014
    Frankly, this came out of my D's mouth when she was choosing her UG: "I will do fine anywhere"
    I always found the "My kids did just fine at *insert lower ranked college*" odd because nobody can predict what the child would have done in a different setting. If you are happy with the results, fine, but don't use the performance of your child as "proof" that school selection doesn't matter. There is no way to prove or disprove that the child wouldn't have performed even better, unless they ended up at something like Harvard or Johns Hopkins for medical school.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,069 Forum Champion
    <<<always found the "My kids did just fine at *insert lower ranked college*" odd because nobody can predict what the child would have done in a different setting. I<<<<

this cuts both ways....I always found it odd when people say things like, "my child's top school opened doors for him"....the child may have had great success going elsewhere.
    ^Performance of each student is reflection of his/her effort and NOT anywhow reflection of the UG / Medical School or whtaever other istutuion is chosen. Yes, I agree that if person has reached his/her goal, then the person did very well. Specifically, my D. is attending the Medical School of her dream way back in HS. What better one can ask for. In addition she had other very very good choices and she had very hard time deciding on which Med. School to attend. Again, her attitude of "I will do fine anywhare" has benn working so far. But we are not at the goal yet, she has not applied to residencies. Her general goal was to be accepted at about 50% of Med. Schools that she has applied. It was accomlished precisely. No regrets, looking back with comp0lete satisfaction.
    Comment for overall process. Many are using as criteria the aspects that are totally out of student control. Not a good idea at all. But if one wants to waste the time, why not? It is entertaining to say the least.
    "You're confident that she would have selected the med school she's at, even of all of the rejects were on the table? Just curious."
    -Very confident. First, she had 2 rejects. One was at the location where she was accepted to another highly ranked Medical School (higher ranked than D's choice). She turned it down while location was one of the primary concern. Another (higher criteria) was her preference for the program at her current Medical school. Do not get me worng. She has plenty, plenty of classmates from Harvard, other Elite colleges, including those with the PhD (Harvard), Masters of science (JHU), lawyers and others, while Berkeley UG is beating all other UGs in number of graduates in D's Medical School class. Apparently all these applicants (many from CA) have chosen D's Medical School for whatever reasons (I can guarantee you that location for them was very very undesirable, while fo my D. it was preferrable). There were no instance so far when D. was feeling inadequate in comparison to all others. While she has not been graded in her first 2 years (p/f), her Step 1 score is well in line with her goal and she was told by her dean and many others that she is done well. Again, we still have to see the final result - match (every time I say that, I feel shaking)
    Also, D. was surrounded "by the highest concentration of exceptional talent." at her Honors college in public in-state UG. Vast majority of them were valedictorians, many from rigorous private HS (including my D.). Her Honors college places 100% of Medical School applicants into Medical Schools, good number get accepted to top 20s (again, including my D.). Very many around her had the hardest time deciding on which Medical School to attend.

....as I keep saying, choose whatever pleases you, but be prepared to work hard and you will achieve....and keep yourself away from all ney-sayers, they are loosers, they have nothing better to do but put down others.
  • plumazulplumazul Registered User Posts: 1,744 Senior Member
    Frankly, this came out of my D's mouth when she was choosing her UG: "I will do fine anywhere"

@MiamiDAP 's D's comment is actually backed up by research.

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/the-college-solution/2011/03/01/the-ivy-league-earnings-myth
  • plumazulplumazul Registered User Posts: 1,744 Senior Member
    There are benefits to an elite education that can't be measured on an employment survey

Really? Other than the proverbial propensity for perpetuation of pomposity, what might those be? #:-S :D
This discussion has been closed.