Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How to select pre-med courses

foximus91foximus91 Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
I am entering into my sophomore year and I am looking at pre med, but when I look at individual med schools to see the requirements, they all have slightly different ones. They all use the core requirements, but some if not most have additional classes they require.

Should I plan on taking all of the different extra courses for the every school I intend to apply? Or am I missing something?

Replies to: How to select pre-med courses

• Jweinst1Jweinst1 Registered User Posts: 382 Member
    1 Year of General Biology
    1 Year of General Chemistry
    1 Year of Organic Chemistry
    1 Year of Introductory Physics
    1 Year of Mathematics (1 Semester of Calculus and 1 semester of statistics usually)
    1 year of English
    A semester of Biochemistry

These are the core requirements that will cover most medical schools you will apply to. You should talk to a pre-med advisor at your school to see which courses in your college would correspond to this specifically. Many medical schools also recommend taking Spanish and humanities classes as electives when possible. DO NOT take any Pre-med courses in a Pass/ Not Pass, Pass/Fail, or any other non-letter grade option.
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,565 Senior Member
    If you end up applying to any med programs which require coursework beyond the general requirements listed above, you still have your entire senior year (or your gap year if you apply after graduation) to take any missing pre-reqs. On your AMCAS application, you will list the course as "anticipated" and list which semester you plan to take it.

Pre-reqs only need to be completed before you matriculate, not before you apply.
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    You have to match your classes to the schools that you will be applying.......and also make sure to have very heavy schedule in first 2 years, so that you can adjust to unexpected changes which sometime happen AFTER you apply. One of D's Medical Schools have added 2 requirements AFTER she applied and registered for her fall semester of senior year. Thanks to great pre-med advising at her UG, she was warned on time. She dropped one of her minors and completely changed her senior year plans (of course her fall registration went down the drain). She was accepted at this Medical School, but ironically has chosen to attend a different one. She was happy though that she added one of the classes - Anatomy to her senior year schedule. This might be one of UG science classes that actually was helpful in Med. School. Anatomy is mostly a vocabulary class. She said that medical students in he class who did not have Anatomy in UG, struggle more. Another class - Biochem was not helpful at all, she did not feel that she took the right one in UG. But most UG science classes have very little to do with Medical School anyway.
This discussion has been closed.