Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

how should prepare for the mcat

htourayhtouray Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
edited January 2015 in Pre-Med Topics
I got a low sat score (1410/2400) but a high school high gpa (3.7). How do I get a high mcat? I just got accepted to Uri and Ric

Replies to: how should prepare for the mcat

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,082 Forum Champion
    Is English your first language?
  • htourayhtouray Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    Are you a college junior?
    If not, there is no reason for you to worry about MCAT.
    No soon to be freshman
    edited January 2015
    Do you have any advice for me about being pre med?
  • Jugulator20Jugulator20 Registered User Posts: 1,424 Senior Member
    Most importantly enjoy remaining time in high school. As to MCAT: take premed classes before MCAT, try to go to class every day, stay on top of material, and do well. Also understand that premed courses aren’t taught with MCAT in mind, so you’ll have to get some prep materials and study on your own and/or take MCAT prep course. Although the amount of MCAT prep time needed varies from student to student (2-3 months, more or less?) and is often taken sometime in third year, you certainly do not need to give much thought, if any, about MCAT for some time. So focus on doing well in your courses as your college GPAs will be just as critical as MCAT score. Also make time to enjoy your college years as well. Good luck.

• plumazulplumazul Registered User Posts: 1,744 Senior Member
    OP, with a 1410 on the SAT, you need to start immediately working on whatever is causing you problems. What was your score breakdown? What classes were giving you problems in high school. You have time to fix this if you start now. If you wait until months before you take the MCAT to fix your deficiencies, (as others have suggested) you won't have enough time.

Start today by reading, reading, reading. Increase the difficulty of what you read over the months ahead. Don't let anything get past you. Fully understand everything you read (have a dictionary open at all times).

Best of luck.
    Max SAT Score Reading 470, Math 500, Writing 440
    edited January 2015
    Do you recommend I read the sat reading list 100 books?
  • i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Forum Champion Brown Posts: 8,225 Forum Champion
    edited January 2015
    normally I'm anti @plumazul's start early approach for the MCAT but with that SAT score I think she's right here.

Are these the books you're referring to? http://missyween.com/?page_id=13 If so, I say no. Those are mostly fiction and the kind of text you'll see on the MCAT is not fiction. I'd look to things like newspapers and magazines. Go for the more educated kind (e.g. NY Times, Scientific American, Economist, not US Weekly and People)

Does "Max SAT score" mean it took multiple attempts to get to 1410? Does it mean you got that score on one of your attempts or does that represent the best individual section scores over multiple attempts (a superscore?)

What was your SAT prep like?
    It is a superscore of +-10 to the writing section. During my prep i got max 600 math 540 reading and low writing 430
    edited January 2015
    How much should read? And do you think i will be prepared in a year.
  • i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Forum Champion Brown Posts: 8,225 Forum Champion
    I doubt this is an issue but do not skip any intro coursework. If your school offers some remedial level science/math/english classes (maybe they don't count towards the major or med school requirements) take them. Don't be afraid to use your school's support services (e.g. free tutoring from senior students, a writing center to critique essays, etc.) Your foundation is weak. Most medical school applicants probably had baseline SAT scores above your current maximum. What prep did you do? Self study with a book? A class? A tutor? Lots of practice exams? Mostly flash cards? What was your method exactly?

NYT and SA are probably good sources - I don't remember the little list I used to know when I worked at Kaplan. I think New Republic was another one on there. Washington Post was probably on there (especially since they own Kaplan, lol) Basically you want to be able to read educated writing aimed at an educated, but not specialized audience (e.g. I would not recommend reading medical/research journals - that's too specialized).

You want to get used to understanding not only what the pieces are saying but also how they are saying it. What is the author's point? What evidence does the author use to support it? Does the author address any potential/existing criticisms of their point? Editorials/OP-eds are probably more in line with MCAT passages than actual news articles. Reviews of things are also good.
    I did some self study with a tutor, but I could have studied harder.
    Should i start out reading articles and looking up words i don't know?
This discussion has been closed.