Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is pre-med a safe bet?

2»

Replies to: Is pre-med a safe bet?

• Jugulator20Jugulator20 Registered User Posts: 1,435 Senior Member
    IMO, premed science reqs generally are meant to provide adcoms with an apples to apples comparison of applicants who have been exposed to a variety of science materials of arguably moderate difficulty. I don’t think the question is whether an applicant likes bio, chem, physics, etc as much as whether the applicant can demonstrate the ability to handle moderately difficult science materials. As I seem to remember, S didn’t seem to indicate premed reqs materials provided much, if any, usefulness to him once he started med school. I would say, however, that college biochem will be useful to med student
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    " didn’t seem to indicate premed reqs materials provided much, if any, usefulness to him once he started med school. I would say, however, that college biochem will be useful to med student "
    -D. said the same that UG does not really prepare for Med. School, just provides a certain basic background. She actually did not take a serious biochem in UG, hers was some kind of class that she just glided thru in her last semester of senior year. Biochem is important and you will learn a lot of it at med. school. D's love for Chem. continues at Med. School to be expressed as a love for kidney studies as it requires lots of chem., and her dislike of Physics also continues as a general dislike for heart/lung studies. However, everything was and is very interesting, there is a general curiosity about everthing including specialties that are not connected at all to the one that she has applied (but they are all somewhat connected though). Also, she mentioned many times, that Med. School does not really teach you to be a physician, your training starts in residency. Med. School seems more or less providing opportunites to figure out closer your own preferences, abilities and talents.
2»
This discussion has been closed.