Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Getting into Columbia University after Medical School

HarminousHarminous Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
I want to go to medical school at the University of Missouri Kansas City or Kansas University and I was wondering if I could get into columbia university after medical school if they accept students that do that.

Replies to: Getting into Columbia University after Medical School

• T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    edited March 2015
    What degree program are you looking to enter? And you better hope for a huge pot of fellowship money b/c you'll be pretty poor after med school tuition.
  • HarminousHarminous Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Obstetrician & Gynecologist Resident
    You're currently in college? Residency programs are based on interviews -- like jobs. It depends on how well you do in med school and initial internships. You have to worry about getting into med school first.
    I'm a junior in high school
    You’re still confusing. You want to attend UofMO-KC or Kansas U for undergrad? You know that “medical school” is a post-graduate institution right? It’s for people who have attained their bachelors and finished pre-req classes. Columbia Medical School will accept applications from anyone who has met their pre-req requirements. In the USA, there is no such thing as an undergrad “pre-med” major. You’ll attend college – majoring in whatever you want. Then with pre-req classes done, plus MCAT scores, you apply to Medical School. Columbia, Univ of Kansas Medical School, Johns Hopkins, wherever. BTW: by the time you apply to med school – your goal is to get into ANY med school – it’s nice to aim for Columbia but it’s unrealistic to think you can simply target Columbia or any named Med School at this point w/o your college GPA and MCATs in hand. Frankly, you want any med school that you can afford
  • texaspgtexaspg Forum Champion Pre-Med & Medical Posts: 16,678 Forum Champion
    edited March 2015
    Here were the matches for last year and this year for UMKC 6 year program.

http://med.umkc.edu/sa/match-day-2014/

http://med.umkc.edu/sa/match-day-2015/

There are many prestigious programs in both lists. Ivy schools are conspicuously absent.
  • JustOneDadJustOneDad Registered User Posts: 5,845 Senior Member
    Where you want to go to medical school and where you actually get admitted might be two very different things, so keep an open mind.

During the more clinical phases in medical school, you will have the opportunity to do clerkships in the various specialties. In some cases, you can sign up for clerkships in other cities so you might be able to experience Emergency Medicine in the knife and gun clubs of Chicago or Houston, Obstetrics catching babies in New York City, etc. That way, you can get a good idea of what suits you in advance of residency applications.

Even if you could plan to get a particular residency, it's a little early to start.
    I'm a junior in high school . I was wondering what where really good medical schools and no I do not want to go to Umkc or Ku for under grad. I'm going to Missouri State University for pre med, then if I score high on the mcat and the ivy leagues are part of the results then I'll chose harvard medical school. after medical school I'll apply to Columbia University in New York City for residency majoring to bexome a Obstetrician & Gynecologist. Just t trying to clear that up if it was a little confusing sorry about that.
  • churchmusicmomchurchmusicmom Registered User Posts: 4,059 Senior Member
    OP, you REALLY need to do some further investigations into what real life looks like for med school hopefuls. "Choosing" Harvard med school, for example, is not at all something you can necessarily anticipate. Most people apply to MANY med schools, hope to get interviews and then see how many actually offer them admission.

If you do get in to med school , then toward the end of your med school career, you will apply for Match (National Residency Matching Program, or NRMP). You will have your med school grades plus your results on a couple of standardized tests you will have taken during med school.....plus letters of recommendation....these factors will pretty much determine the areas of specialization to which you would realistically apply for residency. You most likely would apply to MANY different programs (20 is not unrealistic) ---see how many interviews you get for those spots---then you will rank them according to your preference. THEN you will wait, along with everyone else in the country, for Match Day (around the third Friday in March. It was last Friday, this year) to find out which program you will spend the next several years of residency in. It will NOT be up to you at that point.

Well, I suppose you could do a "suicide match", which is what it's called when you only apply to one program, but that would be the height of foolishness. To put it mildly.
    edited March 2015
    You’re focusing WAY too far on the future. It’s OK to have an image or a goal – but there are major steps along the way. 1) get to MSU and get an excellent GPA in the major of your choice – also getting As (generally) in your med school pre-req courses. (Stop saying you’re going to college for “pre-med” – it belies the fact that you might believe there is a “pre-med” major—there is no such thing. Instead, say you’re planning on majoring in X with an eye towards Med School afterward).

2) excellent MCAT & probably, medical or STEM related research. 3) other ECs shouldn’t be avoided – med schools want people who simply aren’t science grinds. 4) apply to and get into ANY medical school – (I suspect you think there’s much of a difference in med schools?) – the best one? The CHEAPEST ONE. 5) some have a more hands-on reputation (UMich, Indiana e.g.) – some more academic (Yale, Johns Hopkins, Duke, e.g.) – what do you want to do? 5) no one really cares if you go to an “Ivy” med school – you’ll care if you have to eat ramen and drive a used car until you’re 32 years old, however. 6) Residency – it’s the marketplace (see #9's description of the MATCH) – if you end up in the NY area – it’ll be because you interviewed at dozens of hosp programs and one in NY took you. Columbia? Maybe. Likely not however. Again, if you think you’ll want to live/work in NYC, you’ll want minimal Med School debt. You’ll be extremely broke, otherwise. Basically, stop focusing on Columbia as if it’s some Xanadu. It’s not.
    Speak to your own physician or others --- ask them about their journey. Certainly the country needs more physicians, OB/GNs especially. It’s a shame how expensive med schools are but that’s a reality that you need to understand before you dream up your NYC residency outlines. Maybe go over to the pre-med forum? Best of luck to you.
    Thanks for your help even if it kind of sounded pretty harsh
  • Jugulator20Jugulator20 Registered User Posts: 1,410 Senior Member
    Well in excess of 100k students start out as premeds each year, with last reported application approx 48k actually applying and approx 20k actually starting. It is a "pretty harsh" process. People are just trying to be honest about what you're facing. Good luck.
    Thank you
  • i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Forum Champion Brown Posts: 8,219 Forum Champion
    edited March 2015
    Also Lenox hill ob/gyn is more prestigious anyway. That's why Beyoncé, SJP, Tina fey, jane krakowski, Chelsea Clinton, etc choose to give birth there.

And herein lies an issue for many high schoolers pursuing medicine. Prestigious undergrads don't always have prestigious medical schools and especially don't always have prestigious residency programs. Even systems like Harvard and Hopkins, in nearly every specialty there are several equivalent or better programs - many of them at places you've never heard of or would think of as being the top dog.
    Thank you
This discussion has been closed.