Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.

Best Pre-Med College with High Merit Scholarship Opportunities?

OhioJCL5OhioJCL5 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
I'm a high school Junior (33 ACT and 3.41 GPA with numerous athletic & extra activities). I've been taking AP Courses at a very challenging public high school (ranked top 10 in Ohio). I want to be a doctor. I'm looking for an undergraduate school (big or small....in state or out of state) that has high merit scholarships. I won't qualify for any financial need money. My parents saved $100,000 for my college and med school. So I'm looking the the highest rated pre-med program college at the most affordable price. Can anyone with real knowledge recommend colleges (big or small...in state or out) with highly rated pre-med programs that would be affordable and offer merit scholarships? Thank you.

Replies to: Best Pre-Med College with High Merit Scholarship Opportunities?

• WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 8,992 Senior Member
    There is no such thing as a "best pre-med program." Every college in the US and Canada offers the necessary pre-med coursework. (Pre med requirements are pretty much only intro-level classes in bio, physics, math, psych, soc and 5 semesters of chem.)

Additionally, no college prepares you for the MCAT. You need to study for that yourself. (College coursework will give you the foundational knowledge for the MCAT, but will not actually prepare you for the test.)

You need to find the college that offers you the best combination of fit, cost and opportunities--this combination will be different for every individual.

Gaining an acceptance to med school is not about which college you attend, but what you do at that college. (For example, I have 2 children--one went to the big in-state public U ranked around #200 and one went to OOS small, private research U ranked around #30. Both are in med school. Both had multiple acceptances to med school. Getting accepted to med school is all about you, not about your school.)

If you're looking for merit scholarships, there's thread in the FA forum that lists them, along with another thread for low cost colleges:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/1678964-links-to-popular-threads-on-scholarships-and-lower-cost-colleges.html#latest
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    There are few places in OH that routely offer huge Merit awards to the top qualifiers. However, unfortunately, you would not satisfy a cut for such award. Also you will have to work much harder in college as college GAP of 3.4 would not be enough. You would still need to participate in numerous ECs in addition to meeting Med. School "stats" requirements. Just attend the UG that fits you the best and adjust you work habits apwards. My D. was looking only in OH for her UG. So, if you are looking in-state, we are a bit more familiar than others. When she applied 8 years ago, she got very small Merit offers at OSU, Kent, and Cincinnatti, while Miami (OH), Toledo and Case Western offerred her great Merits. She choose Miami where she attended on full tuition Merit. Her stats were 33 ACT and 4.0 uw GPA with athletic & numerous other ECs. She had no problem getting accepted at 4 Med. Schools after graduating from Miami (OH). Frankly, I have no idea about ranking of any UGs, we did not check, we did not care about ranking, D. said that she will do fine anywhere. She just choose what she liked and worked very hard there. She graduated from the most rigorous private HS in our area, but still needed adjustments upwards in her working habits at college.
    Best wishes!
  • LAChopefullLAChopefull Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Hi I'm a freshman at Oberlin College doing pre-med so I thought i could give you some advice.

I did not qualify for financial aid either, but Oberlin is really generous about merit aid. Almost everyone I know who didn't apply early got some form of merit aid ranging from $2000-$50000 depending on your qualifications, which is more than I've seen other schools give. Also if your an athlete, Oberlin loves recruiting for their teams and I think will help money wise with that as well. They also are willing to let athletes in with lower GPAs, but your GPA seems fine and you have a good ACT score so I think you'd be fine.

Oberlin is a pretty small school (about 750 per class) and this means pretty small science classes which I think is a HUGE benefit. I know all my teachers personally and, while I haven't personally done research, I know a lot of people who have already has first years. A smaller school means its a lot easier to get noticed and offered opportunities that can you help you go to med school. Also the pre-med advisor is awesome and really helpful and inspires a lot of confidence that you can go to Med school if you want to. We also have winter term in January where you could intern at hospitals, do more research, study for the MCAT etc.

Most people brush it aside because it isn't a huge research facility but that means its easy to become a big fish in a small pond. You'll have really personal letters of recommendations and I have talked to med school admissions and being from a smaller school sets you apart.

I hope this was helpful!
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,896 Senior Member
    Is that your weighted GPA for all classes?? What will your weighted GPA be at the end of this junior year?

>>
    highest rated pre-med program college at the most affordable price.
    >>>

There is no such thing as "highest rated premed program."

Your GPA will keep you from much or any merit at many better schools. If your weighted GPA will be at least a 3.5, then Alabama would give you free tuition.
This discussion has been closed.