Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.

What are good Medical Specialties

HarminousHarminous Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
I was wondering what are some great medical specialties to look into for medical school when I get there but right now I'm a junior in high school and I want to get more information on this question. and by the way there is nothing wrong with looking forward to the future its better to think about what is best then not have nothing

Replies to: What are good Medical Specialties

• bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 8,716 Senior Member
    Define "good." This is an incredibly vague question.
  • JustOneDadJustOneDad Registered User Posts: 5,845 Senior Member
    There are tremendous shortages of physicians in Family Medicine and Pediatrics. No lack of jobs there. Pretty easy Residencies to match into. Lots of opportunity for paying off debt for underserved area work.
  • HarminousHarminous Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I meant what are the best specialties like Ob/Gyn or Cardiology thats what I meant by good sorry
  • Jugulator20Jugulator20 Registered User Posts: 1,236 Senior Member
    Honestly, as you’re a junior in high school and it’s spring time, you should be thinking about finishing the school year strong, summer jobs, love being in the air, college in a broad sense, not med schools much less med specialties.

• WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 8,978 Senior Member
    "Best" specialty is in the eye of the beholder.

What D1 thinks is the "best" specialty isn't what her sister thinks is the "best" specialty.

Also you're a minimum of 14-15 YEARS away from being a physician. Much can and will change in the medical landscape in those intervening years. Some specialties may have changed significantly; others may disappear; and still others may come into existence.

So for now, concentrate on doing well in high school and getting accepted into college.
  • i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Registered User Posts: 7,937 Senior Member
    Cardiology is a subspecialty of internal medicine whereas ob/gyn is its own specialty.
  • hrh19hrh19 Registered User Posts: 767 Member
    Harminous - It's good to have 'ideas' but it's important to be open to change. Today you might think you want to be a surgeon, but after your clinical rotations you might just love ob/gyn. When you find your place, you'll know. I've heard it said that the best lifestyle specialties are radiology, ophthalmology, anesthesiology, and dermatology. D didn't really like any of those. She changed her mind many times through the years and even debated when she was getting ready to apply for residencies. In the end, she chose the perfect specialty for her and loves what she chose. Enjoy high school. Enjoy college. Volunteer as much as you can. Do some research. Shadow some physicians. I'm hoping all your dreams come true.
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    Frnakly, as you’re a junior in high school and it’s spring time, ENJOY your HS years, they will never repeat, my D's best and closest friends are still her HS friends, while she is graduating from Med. School in May and had accumulated many friends in UG and Med. School. This time is way too precious to waste to something that you at your stage of life have no way understanding now. Take one day at a time, cherish it!!
    The best way to prepare to ANYTHING in your life is to always do your BEST.
    Your goals as a young person should be always do your absolute best and enjoy every day of your life.
This discussion has been closed.