Hi! So I'm currently going in to junior year, and my goal in the far, far future is to become a pediatrician because I love kids, and I would very much like to leave my mark on the world as having helped children. As college is coming up soon, I'm feeling very anxious and all, so I wanted to ask for advice and for specific questions.
Some background to help you answer my questions: I just took the new SATs and I scored a 1450. I'm ranked 17 in my grade of 960ish. I have only taken APUSH because that was the only AP I could take this past year, but I will be taking AP Bio, AP Chem, AP Stat, AP Calc AB, WHAP, and AP Eng Language and Composition this coming year. I plan to take Advanced Biology, AP Psychology, AP Physics, a Gifted Mentorship program at my school, AP Government, AP Eng Literature and Composition, and AP Calc BC in my senior year. I volunteer at my local hospital. I'm in Class Cabinet. I will be applying for NHS. I was an officer for NJHS. I am the PR officer for my Girl Up club at school. I do Best Buddies. I paint and play violin outside of school. I do religious courses at my mosque. I did a summer program called Discover Hopkins at Johns Hopkins University this past summer. I live about an hour from Philly.
My dreams: I would very much like to go to Johns Hopkins, because I have heard it is one of the best schools for medical. My parents want me to go to Penn or Princeton, but I'm not sure I could get into those. Or even JHU. I'm worried I've been misguided about thinking which schools are the best and whatnot, and I can't tell where I could succeed and have a good time. (Not a party animal, but I still like to chill.)
Okay so my questions/concerns:
1. It takes forever to become a doctor, but I like to think I'm smart and hardworking enough to go through with it. Bt I'm worried I won't have time to start a family and spend time with them. (Which I realize is forever away, but obviously kids are my passion, and I really want some of my own.)
2. Is not playing a sport going to hurt me?
3. I'm too poor to pay for all those expensive summer programs, but not poor enough to get financial aid. It worries me that everyone is going off to these cool camps and I'm at home.
4. I don't have a job.
5. I'm worried I don't have enough connections or whatever.
6. I'm also worried about having experience concerning research and labs and science fairs. I'm great at science, but not interested enough to do my own project and such. I like it enough to get through it to reach my main goal to be a pediatrician. I also would like to spend some part of my life doing research or in a lab, but definitely not forever. I'm much more interested in diagnosis and treatment and working with kids/patients.
7. The Gifted Mentorship is basically a program where gifted kids can find someone in the community that is in their desired profession and work with them for a year everyday after school. It seems really cool to me and very flexible, which can give me a lot of experience. Every website I visit about high schoolers becoming doctors advises me to shadow doctors. Would this program be enough to count as shadowing? My work would involve keeping reports what I do and how I help out, and giving a presentation nat the end of the year, as well as checkins every marking period.
8. I'm worried about the safety of my college campus, too. I'm a tiny Muslim woman, if that helps.
9. Accelerated programs?
10. How cool would it be to spend a year or even a summer abroad? I see all these advices to spend your summers doing something productive, like a job at a pharmacy or shadowing a doctor or research or volunteering abroad. I think these are so cool, and I wanna be productive like that. A lot of people do things just for college, but my philosophy is that colleges want you to show that experience so you can grow from it, and I wanna be able to grow from it and experience things like living abroad as well, not just because admissions officers want to see that.
Any advice about college or premed or high school programs or conferences or anything that would make me stand above the crowd would be really helpful. Thanks to everyone for the help!