Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What happens if u don't go to med school

dementedx14dementedx14 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
edited July 2006 in Pre-Med Topics
what if you dont get accepted by none of the schools that u applied too, than what do u do? someone help.
Post edited by dementedx14 on

Replies to: What happens if u don't go to med school

• hazmathazmat User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 8,435 Senior Member
    try, try again. Did you select the wrong schools for your credentials? Evaluate your list.
  • bluedevilmikebluedevilmike Registered User Posts: 11,964 Senior Member
    Alternatively, enter another profession. Premed students are credentialed for careers in biomedical research, dentistry, nursing, physician assistantship, etc. Goodness, there's a long list. Radiology technicians, physical therapists, optomotrists, office managers. I don't know why everybody on this board is so down on teaching. Per hour, you get paid extremely well!

Consider schools that train doctors of osteopathy (D.O. schools).

Finally, many jobs don't care in the least what your major was, as long as you can establish that you can do the work for them.
  • dementedx14dementedx14 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    im just starting college so its good to know that u can still try, to go even if they dont accept you right after u finish four years
  • COLLEGE!COLLEGE! Registered User Posts: 303 Member
    Is it looked down upon to take a gap year and then reapply?
    Gap year no. Reapply to the same schools, yes. Not that it's a dumb idea, necessarily - I mean, if you really want to go there, knock yourself out. But know that that's one of the very first things medical schools will ask you for.
  • aznsnake0307aznsnake0307 Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    Some people go and get a Masters and try again for Med School and are successful. My orthodontist is a BS MS DMD. You would probably get a masters in your "concentration."
  • oscar228oscar228 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I read the post on different careers for people who don't get into med school. Could you list salary and degree requirements to get into biomedical research or other carees best-suited for pre-meds who didn't get into med school.
  • BlueElmoBlueElmo Registered User Posts: 1,131 Senior Member
    hey bluedevilmike, what field in medicine are you going to do?
    You don't pick a specialty until your third year in med school, which is still six years off for me.
  • umardarrumardarr Registered User Posts: 883 Member
    6 yrs? I thought you got in this year...wouldn't that be 2 years?...I'm confused lol
    After second year, I'll be deferring for three (or possibly more) years for other pursuits.
  • BlueElmoBlueElmo Registered User Posts: 1,131 Senior Member
    so is first two years more textbook based? Like in college? And do you go into clinical stuff during third and fourth years?
    Roughly, yeah.
This discussion has been closed.