Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Lab/Research

2»

Replies to: Lab/Research

• bluedevilmikebluedevilmike Registered User Posts: 11,964 Senior Member
    Varies considerably depending on the number of medical schools you are going to apply to and/or what kind of undergrad school you went to.

If I recall/guess correctly, you're an in-state resident at UCB, right? One of my friends in your position needed 9 recommendations, all told.
  • TwylaBlooTwylaBloo Registered User Posts: 486 Member
    this question has probably been asked before, but it's pretty relevant to the topic.....if you are a freshman, how is it possible that you would have enough skills/knowledge to assist in a lab? also, professors will always like it better if you have already had experience in a lab, so it seems unlikely to get a lab position at such an early time if you have hardly any lab experience.....is it ok just to ask profs if you could help in their lab as a freshman w/ limited experience or will they think you're crazy?
    ok that was more than one question but if anyone can please enlighten me thank you!
  • norcalguynorcalguy Registered User Posts: 7,548 Senior Member
    You'll just be a drone. You may not have any knowledge but you can follow directions.

"Pipet 5 uL of X into test tube #32"
  • BlueElmoBlueElmo Registered User Posts: 1,131 Senior Member
    i need 9 letters of recommendations? Would med schools even bother to read all nine?
    No, but say each school asks for four - and each school has different requirements. In a hypothetical example, it might turn out that Stanford wants a work boss, a character reference, and two science professors; Hopkins wants a research mentor, a professor from your major, an English professor, and a biology professor. You thus see that each school wants four, but in sum you need six or seven. Etc.
  • BlueElmoBlueElmo Registered User Posts: 1,131 Senior Member
    oh so we can't just pick which professros to write out letters? Med schools have guidelines? I guess it's different from applying to colleges.
    Right, medical schools have specific requirements. They will waive the requirements if your premedical advisors have a different system in place (I only needed four), but the UC's don't have any such system.

And, as an aside, I was pretty sure that undergrad did, in fact, have guidelines for letters... but I could be wrong about that.
  • FightingIrish01FightingIrish01 Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    Hey, at my college where I'll be attending, Notre Dame, the research program is absolutely amazing. There are about 25 research projects during the year where students can submit a resume to begin working (usually projects begin sophmore or junior year) and you can even work during the summer.

In addition, there is a NSF (national science foundation) program during the summer where there are an additional 15 research projects where you can work for about $4000 plus room and board. And whats awesome is that you can do this for about 4 credits for the whole year.
    I hope that these are some of the research activities that your universities have as well.

I guess my question is, if I wanted to start early during say my freshman SPRING...do you think if I go to my professor and say that you have a solid 3.9 GPA overall and a 3.9 in both my General Bio and Chem classes. Plus, you're an avid reader of National Geographic, Scientific American, and love doing the labwork. Would they view your passion and and academic excellence early in freshman year and give you a position in doing "research" not cleaning glassware?
2»
This discussion has been closed.