Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

How to ask doctor for internship?

Kout737Kout737 Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
I am heading to college on the pre-med track, and even though I don't know if I'll pursue medical school in the future, I'd like to be well rounded. I'll be a freshman this fall and am hoping to intern during the summer. I know two doctors, one more than the other. The doctor I don't know very well is in the state I'm attending college which would help me reapply for residency my sophomore year. (Classified as Temp Res.) I have texted him a couple of times as my cousin gave him his contact and advised me to shoot him a text. Nothing much, just small talk about medical topics. How/when do I approach asking him for an internship? I don't want to be rude by texting, but don't want to be rude by calling him out of the blue. Do you think I'd be better off talking to the doctor I know more (OOS)? Thank you!

Replies to: How to ask doctor for internship?

  • mjscalmjscal Registered User Posts: 175 Junior Member
    Doctors don't offer internships
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 8,811 Senior Member
    But you could ask if you could do some job shadowing. Pre meds are expected to shadow several different doctors in variety of specialties, including primary care fields.

    The usual method of asking to shadow a doctor is by email, phone or in person.

    It doesn't matter what state the doctor you shadow lives in.

  • artloversplusartloversplus Registered User Posts: 7,920 Senior Member
    In US, the terms "residency" and "intern" in medicine are used only for those who have graduated from medical schools. The first year residency is referred to as an "intern year". There is no such term as "Temp Residency" in the US. Are you from a non-US country?
  • CALSmomCALSmom Registered User Posts: 440 Member
    If the doctor works in a group practice then it would be advisable to contact (email) the Human Resources manager about shadowing said doctor and include a resume and how you know the doc.
  • Kout737Kout737 Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    I would like to clarify that I'm an undergraduate student heading into my first year. I realize doctors don't offer internships, and was associating internship and shadowing as the same thing (I should have been more clear).

    I'm concerned that if I'm able to work with the doctor I have an already existing relationship with (he's located outside of CA), then I'll lose my CA residency for tuition purposes since I have to reapply for it my sophomore year.
  • CALSmomCALSmom Registered User Posts: 440 Member
    If you're concerned with residency, ask to shadow the doc in the state you want residency. It's a shadowing position you will be asking about as you're unsure of what you really want to do. Don't worry about the doc you're friends with as they understand you need to go where it best fits you.

    Keep in mind that not all providers are quick to have a student shadow then. There are HIPAA concerns, patients to notify and sometimes the provider just does not want to take on that extra responsibility on top of all they are expected to do.

    That said, find out where this doc practices. If it's a group practice then follow Post #4 and make contact at least three months before you want to start.
  • GoldenRockGoldenRock Registered User Posts: 915 Member
    edited August 12
    @Kout737 It appears few terminology has multiple meanings, your post makes every response to interpret in different way.

    You are heading in to CA for UG and your home state is not CA. It appears your plan is to become CA resident for the purpose of tuition fees from 2nd year and also apply / get in to CA medical schools as IS resident. You have a contact (DOCs), one in CA and one in Non-CA state. Few things are getting mixed up and it may need more follow up.

    1. For tuition purpose (whether IS or OOS), each school has their own rules and restrictions. In general every school wants to get the maximum once entering as OOS. It is not that easy and it differs from school to school. So first have a in person meeting when you start at the specific CA school and understand all the details. Remember, shadowing with a Doc (is not a job and will not classify or disqualify you for tuition consideration of Resident or Non-Resident). In general your home state still remain as your state for residency purpose from tax purpose (since IRS considers away from home for college - though 9-10+ months away) as 'Temporary Absence', unless you work, earn and file state tax for the new state where you study/work. It is complicated and best consult with a tax advisor.

    2. As others stated, it is better to have shadow with multiple specialty even for a few days than shadowing with the few docs for many days / hours. So you need to plan and keep trying to shadow since many times it is hard to get any response, especially in CA. Grab any opportunity to shadow whether in CA or not in CA. It will not impact your resident status for tuition purpose.

    3. Besides shadow, it is more important to get involved in medicine / community related EC activities for a long time for MD admission. Plan and work towards that goal also in addition to shadow. It could be just volunteer work or paid or unpaid internship.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,559 Senior Member
    Shadowing isn't necessarily long term.You want to try for something more, as well.
    And it doesn't help assure resident status. Staying -state does.
  • mjscalmjscal Registered User Posts: 175 Junior Member
    Shadowing and state residency are not connected. Why do you want to become a California resident? It will help for tuition if you are attending a state University but it will likely make it more difficult to be accepted to medical school. This obviously depends on your current state of residence.
Sign In or Register to comment.