Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Best Florida college for a pre-med student?

FrozenMaineMomFrozenMaineMom Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
If just considering Florida colleges (we are out of state but considering FL colleges for daughter who should end up a National Merit Finalist and we need to take advantage of free undergrad), which would offer the best opportunity? I originally thought the UCF Burnett Honors College was really appealing (and their Medical Scholars program). Then I heard about the 7 year program though USF. However, the reputation of UF is so good that maybe that should be important? Help?

Replies to: Best Florida college for a pre-med student?

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 83,650 Forum Champion
    the reputation of UF is so good

Reputation for what?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 83,650 Forum Champion
    for daughter who should end up a National Merit Finalist and we need to take advantage of free undergrad)

Which Florida schools give free rides to NMFs ?
  • FrozenMaineMomFrozenMaineMom Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    UCF, UF, USF and others too...those are the ones I have been looking into so far but there are others too:)
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 18,183 Senior Member
    I'd pick USF. Location location location.
  • 3boystogo3boystogo Registered User Posts: 332 Member
    @mom2collegekids The Benaquisto scholarship (full cost of attendance at FL state universities) has now been extended to out-of-state students in addition to Florida residents. Personally, I think this is unsustainable, but our elected representatives seem to think it is a good model.

I read somewhere that UA had also increased its NMF program (housing all 4 years again instead of just one, I think).