Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Oxford to US Medical School

alpha0alpha0 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
Hi! I've always wanted to go to med school and I am a US citizen, meaning that I would like to live/work here. However, I truly prefer the UK uni system over the US colleges, and have gotten into Oxford University. However, my main question is: how is the process in coming back to the states after undergrad? And how is it applying to med school? I honestly truly think an Oxford education is priceless and really want to go since I got in, but im not sure how that would affect everything else I do. Anyone know anything??

Replies to: Oxford to US Medical School

• SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 611 Member
    Considering the UK approach to medical degrees is very different to the US, have you begun by researching whether you can structure an oxford undergrad degree to be an acceptable pre-med degree for US medical schools?
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 Registered User Posts: 1,040 Senior Member
    If medical school is what you really want to do, then a UK degree, even a STEM degree from Oxford, is probably not going to be ideal, as generally US med schools want you to have taken the med school prerequisites at a US school. You might be able to take them in the US as summer courses or after you have graduated Oxford.

Of course your plans might change in which case you might regret giving up Oxford.

What US schools have you got into?
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,806 Senior Member
    edited January 12
    Unfortunately for you, your plan Oxford-->US medical school has a big problem. AMCAS, TMDSAS and AACOMAS will not accept and will not verify transcripts from foreign institutions, including Oxford.

AMCAS Instruction Guide for Applicants

TMDSAS
    Foreign coursework will not count towards satisfying any of the required courses listed in the Education Requirements section. All prerequisites must be taken at a regionally accredited US or Canadian college or university.
    https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/foreign_Coursework.html

AACOMAS Application Instructions

AMCAS is the central processor for all allopathic (MD) medical school applications (except for TX schools). TMDSAS is the processor for all applications to TX medical & dental schools. AACOMAS is the central processor for all osteopathic (DO) medical school applications.

Without a verified transcript your application simply won't be processed and your application will never be forwarded to medical schools for admission consideration.

Additionally every US medical school (MD and DO) requires a minimum number of credits to be taken at US or Canadian colleges or universities as a condition for admission consideration. The exact number can range from all science, math and writing pre-reqs to 90+ credits. Even Harvard, which has a liberal policy toward foreign degrees, states:
    A limited number of required courses taken outside the US or Canada may be used to fulfill requirements, determined on a case-by-case basis. Every effort should be made to take the majority of required courses at an accredited college or university in the US or Canada. In any case, at least one year of full-time academic work in the US or Canada is required

To have the best chance for an acceptance to US med school, you need to graduate from a US or Canadian undergrad OR complete a US pre-med post-bacc once you return from the UK.

NOTE: US graduate work usually does not fulfill admission requirements for medical schools so earning a grad degree in the US post-Oxford isn't a viable path.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 73,142 Senior Member
    Just thinking out loud....isn’t Oxford a three year undergrad program?

If so...go there...get your degree, and then come back to the U.S. and spend your fourth year at a US pre-Med post-bacc program.

@WayOutWestMom would this work?
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,806 Senior Member
    edited January 12
    @thumper1

That would work, but most pre-med post baccs are longer than 9 academic months. Most take around 18-20 months in order to accommodate the required 5 semester chemistry sequence.

• i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Forum Champion Brown Posts: 8,247 Forum Champion
    Go to an american school and do a semester or year abroad at oxford.
  • GoldenRockGoldenRock Registered User Posts: 1,254 Senior Member
    @alpha0 " gotten into Oxford University. " Have you got admission for medical school OR got admission for some other discipline and plan to do Medicine in US later? If got into medical school, you need to go thru the residency app process though it has its own risk due to competitive nature as foreign medical graduate.
  • alpha0alpha0 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    to clarify, I have gotten into Human Sciences at Oxford. I did not apply to medicine
  • learninginproglearninginprog Registered User Posts: 1,123 Senior Member
    I second IWBB recommendation.
  • Twoin18Twoin18 Registered User Posts: 930 Member
    Personally I'd go to Oxford unless you are 100% certain you want to go to medical school afterwards. Enjoy your college experience and think about a career in 3 years time.