right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

NYU vs Rutgers Honors College for Pre Med

jerseypremedgaljerseypremedgal 0 replies1 threads New Member
Hey everyone- looking for some insight regarding which school to choose if my goal is medical school? Thanks to some generous scholarships from NYU, despite being in-state for Rutgers, NYU will only be about 5-10k more expensive per year which is insignificant given my financial status.

I really would love studying in the city and having all the volunteer and internship opportunities open to me, but I do fear that NYU might be more competitive than Rutgers. Is NYU a good place to consider doing Pre Med if it is financially viable?

Thanks
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: NYU vs Rutgers Honors College for Pre Med

• thumper1thumper1 77955 replies3488 threads Senior Member
    Either one of these schools is fine for a pre-Med intention.

How much extra money do you have? NYC is a very costly place to live. Think about what you will spend there for things other than college costs.

You may never actually apply to medical school. Please consider all the aspects of your college admissions choices, not just whether the school is “good” for pre-Med.

The reality is...you can complete your pre Med required courses at either of these two colleges.

@WayOutWestMom
    · Reply · Share
  • oldlawoldlaw 317 replies14 threads Member
    Both schools send plenty of students to medical school, and both will have motivated goal oriented pre-meds, so yes both will be competitive. Since money apparently isn't an issue, pick the school that you believe fits best for you.
    · Reply · Share
  • IndyRamsIndyRams 1 replies1 threads New Member
    What did you decide finally? Is NYU going to be open for this Fall?
    · Reply · Share
  • grtd2010grtd2010 1433 replies9 threads Senior Member
    edited April 25
    Rutgers-NB is an excellent choice for a pre-med( NJ resident). Does NYU UG give you any advantage over others when applying to their medical school (NYU Langone, median MCAT approx 521, median GPA 3.93, USN rank # 4, free tuition for medical school ) ?
    edited April 25
    · Reply · Share
  • DaneelOlivawDaneelOlivaw 8 replies0 threads New Member
    @grtd2010 are these statistics what students from Rutgers NB graduated with or admission statistics for their medical school?
    · Reply · Share
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom 10878 replies231 threads Senior Member
    @DaneelOlivaw ( I *love* your screen name. Asimov is one of my favorite authors.)

The stats cited by the above poster are the median stats for students who were accepted to NYU's Langone Medical School. Due to NYU's free tuition, NYU now is tied for high stats for admitted students in the US.

· Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43071 replies469 threads Senior Member
    Pick the one you'd like best if you were not going to med school, since financially they're roughly the same for you.
    (Do you have a Plan B?)
    · Reply · Share