Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Biology/Business Administration Majors/Spanish Minor

ShaggyShaggy Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
edited December 2006 in Pre-Med Topics
I am a current high school senior with plans to participate in the pre-medicine curriculum with a biology and business administration (enterpreneurship focus) double major and spanish as my minor. I was thinking of changing my minor to anthropology, but would like to gain a better background in the spanish language. Does this sound like a good plan to enhance my chances of admission into medical school? I am trying to get a good mix that I think will help me to become a successful physician in the future.
Post edited by Shaggy on

Replies to: Biology/Business Administration Majors/Spanish Minor

• BigredmedBigredmed Registered User Posts: 3,752 Senior Member
    Major doesn't matter in admissions. The statistics show that the majors of matriculants are at a nearly identical ratio to those of applicants.

However, spanish is helpful, extremely helpful, and I've heard many docs who have started their own practices or are in smaller towns saying that a business background would have been extremely helpful.

I encourage you to major in the fields you enjoy, regardless of whether they are practical or not. However, since you have an interest, I'd say forget the bio and be a spanish/business double major. Then you can get the anthro minor that you seem interested in.
  • bluedevilmikebluedevilmike Registered User Posts: 11,964 Senior Member
    Major doesn't matter in admissions and matters surprisingly little in medical school itself. But they may prove handy when it comes to actually being a doctor, setting up a practice, etc.
This discussion has been closed.