Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Early Acceptance Program for veterinary medicine

Replies to: Early Acceptance Program for veterinary medicine

• dora-dogdora-dog Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Dad_of_3,

As far as I know, for Colorado, you have to be a resident of Colorado to apply to the early acceptance program. I do not know much about applying to Colorado's program but for Purdue, you accept the offer to enroll in their university as an undergraduate student (which means you have to reject offers from other colleges) and then apply to the early acceptance program. So it means you are going to purdue regardless of getting into their early acceptance program (one reason why I did not apply). For Missouri, you apply as an undergraduate student and after you get accepted (it's rolling admission, I believe, so you can receive acceptance letter early), you apply to the early acceptance program. However, you get acceptance letter for the early acceptance program around the end of April so by the time you need to pay enrollment fee to a college you've committed to, you will already know if you are accepted or not to the early acceptance program. (most of the colleges require you to accept/reject their offer in the beginning of May)

Hope this helps!
  • msudvm1998msudvm1998 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello,
    I am late coming into this discussion but I just found it researching Early Entry for my daughter who is a Sophomore in high school this year.

I am a Mississippi State University CVM early entry graduate. I too am from the Northeast. Graduated from high school in 1991 and graduated from veterinary school in 1998. When I was in high school, I never even knew Mississippi State existed. I was trying to gain acceptance into Cornell University and took the ACT(not the standardized test of choice in the NE). Needless to say, I did not get into Cornell early decision but by taking the ACT's MSU contacted me and opened my eyes to Early Entry. I was actually already enrolled in Purdue when I received the acceptance to MSU but Early Entry was an offer that I couldn't turn down. There were 14 of us in early entry that year from all over the country. 6 joined me in the graduating class of 1998. 2 or 3 joined the class after me. The rest dropped out or changed majors. I feel that my education at MSU was on par with other graduates across the country. Many of my classmates have gone on into Board Certification, practice ownership, and other successful careers. I myself have been in private practice in both NJ and Maine. I have also been an adjunct professor for an veterinary technology program and Clinical Instructor at Auburn University CVM Small Animal Teaching Hospital. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me.
  • Dad_of_3Dad_of_3 Registered User Posts: 2,067 Senior Member
    ^^msudvm, thanks for your post. DD applied and got the rolling admission into MSU - the general school. I don't remember if she has a second application to fill out for early entry to Vet School, and it's nice of you to volunteer for questions.

Did you have an interview before the early entry decision, and what are they looking for other than grades and scores? DD went to an animal hospital 3 times a week during summer, and now goes to an equine hospital every Saturday. But she doesn't have experience with any other livestock or poultry. What would be things that would be useful for her to do between now and decision time? Thanks.
  • msudvm1998msudvm1998 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Dad of 3,
    Glad to hear she got in! Check out the Early entry info here: Early Entry Program - College of Veterinary Medicine, Mississippi State University Applications are due by Jan 15th of their senior year of high school.

What they are looking for is all on that web site. No there was not a formal interview that I remember and I did not have to interview at all for veterinary school. Her experience at an Equine hospital and small animal hospital should be sufficient however for personal overall experience she may want to volunteer at a shelter too but that is up to her. Just work on keeping her grades up in the meantime.
  • stopdevrystopdevry Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    You should definitely stay away from Ross! To find out more about Ross, check out www.stopdevry.net
  • lovepink7392lovepink7392 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi gbesq,

I tried to pm you, I read all of your information and it was so helpful, thank you. I would love to contact your daughter if possible, I may be attending K-State.

Thanks!
  • KSUmomKSUmom Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Hey qbesq, our daughters are in the same class! My daughter was also an early admit student. I agree this is a huge advantage over the traditional route as the kids essentially have to have a very solid GPA to hold their spot. The uncertainty is removed! My daughter also took advantage of the option to petition at the end of her junior year of undergrad, entering the vet school a year early. She has had vet aspirations for so many years so this reduced time and money spent in undergraduate! The first weeks of classes have been intense but she is loving it! How is your daughter doing?
  • Milty4122Milty4122 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Hello, I know I am a couple years late to this thread, but I am a high school senior that is pursuing a future in Veterinary medicine. I am very interested in the US Army Veterinary Corps and doing AROTC throughout my undergrad studies. I have a thread were I ask for some opinions about my future plans and early vet programs were suggested to me. I am from Michigan and the closest early entry program is Purdue.

SInce this thread is a couple years old, I am curious if EEP worked out for the people in this thread. I am just looking for some insight about these programs and some advice. Thanks!
  • Horserider47ytHorserider47yt Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi I am new to this thread. I am trying to gain entrance into K-state's early admissions program. I only have a 27 ACT score but they want a 29. Do you think I could get in with a 27?
  • ksu_cat4ksu_cat4 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi Horserider47yt,
    I am a current early admit student at K-State. The minimum ACT score they will accept is a 29. However, the higher your ACT and your highschool GPA, the more likely you are to be accepted. The program is very competitive and they are looking for a solid candidate who has proved that they excel far above other students academically.
  • momocarlymomocarly Registered User Posts: 332 Member
    We just turned in our applications for the early admit programs at K-State and Mississippi State. Mississippi State said we could hear by the end of this month and K-State said to tell them when we needed an answer and they would let us know. Both schools said my son had a good chance of being admitted because he is in a high school program where he will be getting his Certification as a Veterinary Assistant and will have 300 hrs of time working with a vet by the time he graduates. He also has lots of hours working as a horseback counselor at summer camp and plays polo and polocrosse. We have our fingers crossed. The next step is the interview with K-State. He has also been accepted at Colorado State's equine science major.
  • BeachMomofGIrlsBeachMomofGIrls Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Please keep us posted! My daughter is only a high school freshman, but already very interested in pursuing the early vet programs. I was wondering how K-State works because their application deadline is so late...
  • momocarlymomocarly Registered User Posts: 332 Member
    My son has been accepted in K-State's program and will be attending there in the fall. The interview process was great and they were very nice! BeachMom I sent you a message!
  • junebug67junebug67 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    Congrats momocarly! Our daughter was just accepted into the Purdue Veterinary Scholars program. This sounds like an amazing opportunity for anyone who gets into an early entry program!
  • mmandersmmanders Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    edited September 22
    I was recently looking into the K-State early entry program for my daughter, but it looked like you had to be a current Freshman at K-State to apply. By momocarly's post , that doesn't seem to be the case. Can anyone confirm anything about that program? The application deadline is September 1st after graduation from High School, so that is why I assumed. Any thoughts?