Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

When is it normal to apply to vet school?

dusty928dusty928 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I’m a student athlete at my school currently a junior in my spring semester. As a student athlete I feel that I haven’t been able to gain a lot of experience due to my lack of time during semesters and during the summer to work or intern with a vet. I’m afraid that if I apply my senior year spring and I don’t get in then I will be put back even later than what I should be. Somebody please give me some advice

Replies to: When is it normal to apply to vet school?

• momocarlymomocarly Registered User Posts: 505 Member
    Vet school applications are done the summer your senior year. They are due by Sept 15. Example right now acceptances are being sent out for Fall 2018. The applications open at the beginning of the summer so you have to apply a year before you are going to attend. Many people take a gap year and work to strengthen their experience and/or take some more classes. Some take more than a year. That is fine and it doesn't keep you from getting into vet school. Right now you could apply in the summer and see what happens and then try again the next year. Their is no harm in that. My guess is that taking a gap year may be the best thing for you. If you don't think you will have a strong application by June then take a year and strengthen it. You can also make some money to help with the costs!
  • ECmotherx2ECmotherx2 Registered User Posts: 1,840 Senior Member
    Are you a high school junior? If you are HS you would be applying to college next summer and fall for admission Fall 2019. Application to a pre-vet program is rigorous, highly competitive and requires many hours of direct animal care, veterinarian LOR's, pre-req courses, leadership roles in HS, etc. These programs want a well rounded student who has achieved solid grades in the hard sciences plus the leadership roles and direct animal care hours. You can also apply to a college or university 4 yr. undergrad. program and major in one of the sciences, animal science, etc. and develop into a strong candidate for your state school of veterinary medicine.
  • momocarlymomocarly Registered User Posts: 505 Member
    My reply was assuming you were a junior in college, if in HS then @ECmotherx2 is correct.
  • almostdogtoralmostdogtor Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I felt unprepared to apply to vet school at the "normal time" that everyone else was applying, and that was a hard decision to make. However, once I starting gaining valuable clinical experience in the veterinary field, I realized how much I needed that time away from school. I actually liked that gap year so much that I actually took an additional year on top of it. My advice is to not give into the pressure to be "on time" with everyone else. There's no shame in taking a gap year (or two!). People say that they're afraid that they won't go back to school if they take a break - those people weren't going to be doctors anyway. If you're really motivated to be a veterinarian, it won't matter how long it takes you to get there.

Also: I've been working on a blog to give advice to pre-vet students such as yourself. Feel free to check it out at www.journey-to-dvm.com :)
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 3,961 Senior Member
    edited February 15
    I feel like more of the vets I know (especially equine) spent time between college and vet school doing research or working. It could be that I know an unusual subset of folks, but it seems like it's not unusual to take a little time for those on this path.

So while there is "normal ", you won't be alone if you spend time making sure this is what you want and strengthening your app.