Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do we have to take Physics to become a vet

leprechaun103leprechaun103 Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
I’m currently a 10th grader in high school taking honors chemistry. I’m struggling with it because I’m behind with my math, but ahead in science and chem is a heavily math based science so I’m not quite understanding much. I’m pretty sure physics is like that too and I don’t want to ruin my GPA. Is physics a class you should take to become a vet? (Cornell is my dream school)

Replies to: Do we have to take Physics to become a vet

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 3,762 Senior Member
    You will need two semesters of physics in college. Exposure to physics in high school will only help you.

If you are shooting for a school like Cornell, they will want to see you taking the most rigorous courses available at your school.
  • leprechaun103leprechaun103 Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    I feel like by taking physics I will be risking my high GPA though?
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 3,762 Senior Member
    Cornell recommends bio, chem, and physics for their applicants. You may want to do some research on Cornell's website on what is recommended for admission and what classes you will need as an undergrad.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,216 Senior Member
    You can take AP chem or AP Bio junior year and AP physics 1 see enior year once you have the math down. :)
  • momocarlymomocarly Registered User Posts: 661 Member
    My son is pre vet and glad he took physics. It helped. Wait til your Sr year to take it. Despite what people say it doesn't have to be the AP class.
  • chestie69chestie69 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    edited January 11
    Veterinary school admission is typically gained after spending 3-4 years in college working towards a bachelor degree. The required courses listed for veterinary schools are college level requirements. I know I was completely confused about the process of vet admission early on.

Basic timeline:
    Graduate high school
    Attend affordable school for undergrad and complete 60ish required credits
    Apply to vet school summer of sophomore/jr year

As far as your question, most vet schools require a 2 course sequence in physics to be taken in college.