Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

new to college and vet tech...have questions

alisaalthausalisaalthaus Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I am 40+ years old and figured, with the economy the way it is, I would go back to school. The first problem is, I am unemployed. The only chance at getting a job in my area (michigan) is to take classes. I have always wanted to be in the animal care field. So I decided on Vet Tech. I went to MichiganWorks, which is our local job bank, and was told this program was not a needed job. That was cleared up rather quickly. I am now accepted with Baker College in their Vet Tech program, 2 years and a solid graduation/job rate. MichiganWorks handed me a paper stating that the program costs $21,500 for everything (I assume books and supplies as well) yet Baker tuition is $6500 a year. They also say they charge $180 per credit hour. Not understanding the credit hour thing, I have 113 credit hours which doesn't equal out. I am not sure how these colleges state their costs. Is that $6500 a basic cost to going to college and then they add in the other stuff? Assuming that is the case, I recieved from FAFSA (haven't tried the other grants yet) $2500 to cover for the year. Now Baker is approx 70 miles from me and I was told I would be attending 3 times a week. That can be morning afternoon and evening depending on the class. I can take online courses as well. The other thing is am I doing the right thing. This is something I have always wanted to do but it is going to be hard doing it without a job. One person told me I could do one or the other. I cannot have a job if I am going to college. The good thing is, apparently, I do not have to pay for the classes until 6 months after graduation. Also, if anyone can tell me what the final exams are like...do they cover every course taken in the 2 years? Remember, I am totally new to this college thing. Everything is greek to me. Maybe I should go for courses to do with something else. The problem is, in my area, MichiganWorks either wants you to be a nurse or a truck driver.
This discussion has been closed.