Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do I even have the slightest chance?

starkalistarkali Registered User Posts: 608 Member
edited December 2011 in Prep School Admissions
I'm planning to apply to Dana Hall, Peddie, Northfield Mount Hermon, Concord, Emma Willard, Blair, Millbrook, and Mercersburg. Within the last two years, my grades have been far from stellar. They were very mediocre and were "all of the place", in the sense that I had a few "A's" as well as a few "F's". On my last progress report, I had all "B's" and two "A's" (I currently have a 3.4 unweighted GPA). I've improved tremendously, but I'm questioning whether or not my grade in middle school will be a problem. I also received my SSAT scores yesterday, and they definitely weren't what I expected. I earned a 47th percentile in verbal, 52nd percentile in reading, and 15th percentile in Math. Therefore, I have an overall 32nd percentile. The problem was that I didn't study and I omitted about 12- 26 questions per section. Now that I know in what areas I'm lacking, I hope I can get at least a 55th percentile. I have quite a few extracurriculars, such as, internships with various non-profit organizations, vice president of a youth organization, horseback riding (5 years), modeling (I'm signed with Ford Models in San Francisco and Los Angeles), and I was the editor for my school newspaper in 7th grade (I also work for an online magazine). Also, I'm pretty sure that my teachers will give me good recommendations. Are my SSAT test scores and grades going to hinder me? Considering my circumstances are the schools that I previously listed out of my reach?
Post edited by starkali on

Replies to: Do I even have the slightest chance?

• karategirl2005karategirl2005 Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    Honestly, unless your parents can't pay the full price tag, or you are going to a stinky school... then not that good of chances...
  • starkalistarkali Registered User Posts: 608 Member
    Thank you for your insight. Can you tell me what exactly I can do to make my application look more appealing? Such as retake the SSAT, improve my grades etc. Are my SSAT scores the main problem? Or is it my grades and ECs as well?
  • dodgersmomdodgersmom Registered User Posts: 7,311 Senior Member
    starkali -

(1) Retake the SSAT!!! And this time, prepare for it. Use one of the well-known SSAT prep books, such as Princeton Review. Doesn't have to be this year's edition, but it does have to be an SSAT prep book, not SAT or something else.

(2) Continue to work hard in school and keep your grades up! The improvement from "all over the place" to a mix of A's and B's is significant . . . and it's something the admissions committees will notice.

(3) Stop worrying about how to make your application "look more appealing" and focus instead on being the best student you can be. It's possible that your less than stellar academic history will keep you out of boarding school this coming year . . . but not to worry. That just gives you an extra year to prove to the schools that you've matured and are now ready to tackle your classes with the same energy you've put into your other pursuits.

I can't predict how this will go for you. It's possible that your bad grades in the past will hurt your chances. But it's equally possible that the improvement you've shown will actually put you ahead of the kids who've always gotten A's and B's - because you've faced an obstacle and overcome it.

For right now . . . get off of CC and go study for the SSAT!!! :)

Good luck!
  • narwhalsnarwhalsnarwhalsnarwhals Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    I got into Dana Hall with a 53(verbal), 56(reading comp), 77(quantitative), and 63(math) percentiles on the ISEE, so you if you retake the SSAT and get at least an overall 50 percentile you will probably be okay. Apparently their average overall SSAT score is 60th percentile for incoming students.
  • Soccer251996Soccer251996 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Wait so you don't need an 80% average to get into very fine schools like Dana Hall and Groton Choate etc? That is what most people told me. Middle school for me was quite like yours except this year I have a 4.5 GPA weighted unweighted 3.8.. With your expeirience do you think an 80% on SSAT will be okay?
  • NYCKevinNYCKevin Registered User Posts: 202 Junior Member
    Dana Hall is not on the same "tier" as Groton. Groton is on par with Andover, Exeter, Choate, etc.

You an probably get into Dana Hall with a score in the 70-something-th percentile. Groton: high 80s.
This discussion has been closed.