Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is there anyway!! Help!!

SparklefunSparklefun Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
edited October 2011 in Prep School Admissions
I currently go to a public high (9th grade) (one of top schools in state) and am miserable. I am not challenged in any of my classes, and in all my classes there's about another 30 students. Is there any way that a boarding school will accept me second semester? Do you know of ways I can ask them, or make them take me in??? HELP!
Post edited by Sparklefun on

Replies to: Is there anyway!! Help!!

• GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    There are some BS's that have rolling admissions, but most of the selective ones which are the frequent topic of discussion on this site have an admissions deadline in mid-January, with matriculation in the Fall.

Try searching searching here (click on YES for the choice for "rolling deadline")
    Search Boarding Schools - Boarding School Review
  • blehjointsblehjoints Registered User Posts: 216 Junior Member
    are you a girl? i think emma willard does! also check out George School in Newtown, PA?
  • dodgersmomdodgersmom Registered User Posts: 7,311 Senior Member
    TABS (THe Association of Boarding Schools) may have a list of school still accepting students. Check their site.
  • SparklefunSparklefun Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    I'm asking if there is any way that schools like Andover, Exeter, Deerfield who would some how consider me next semester?
  • SevenDadSevenDad Registered User Posts: 4,244 Senior Member
    Sigh...[10 char]
  • dodgersmomdodgersmom Registered User Posts: 7,311 Senior Member
    I'm asking if there is any way that schools like Andover, Exeter, Deerfield who would some how consider me next semester?

No, I don't believe so. But why take my word for it? If you really want to know, call these schools yourself!

But here's the problem, you see . . . each of the schools you named has far more qualified applicants each year than they could possibly ever make space for. And these are applicants who went through the entire application process: interview, SSAT test, essays. It's a process that isn't completed overnight. In fact, if you started today, you'd be hard pressed to get everything done in time to be included with the thousands of applicants seeking a space at these schools for next year.

So, why in the world would one of these schools be interested in taking a student who couldn't be bothered, or who couldn't plan far enough in advance, to even complete the application process?

Not everything in life happens overnight. Some things you have to work for . . . and a space at one of these prestigious schools is one of those things.

Remarkably, there are some really excellent schools that do accept new students mid-year . . . and if you were lucky enough to get one of those spots, you'd truly have something to be grateful for. But we've already suggested where you can look to find such schools, and your only response was, "But what about Andover, Exeter, and Deerfield?" So, best of luck to you . . . I think you may be about to learn something about the limits of instant gratification.
    @Sparklefun,

A consideration for changing school mid year is how it will look to the school. Unless there is a compellingly urgent reason for you to leave your present school (e.g., a household move because your mother suddenly got appointed to be ambassador of Khazahkstan and there is no secondary school there), then I as an AO would question why the urgency. Is there a social or disciplinary issue here? That was the perception at DS's previous school when a kid suddenly appeared from another nearby school.

It makes a candidate look impulsive & immature-- not desirable qualities for a BS candidate. To echo dodgersmom's comment, the lack of planning does not look good.
  • SevenDadSevenDad Registered User Posts: 4,244 Senior Member
    A good friend of mine from Penn actually did transfer into Exeter mid-year back in the mid 1980s. He was a 1580-ish SAT scorer (when the scale was 1600) and finished the 5-year Penn M&T degree program (dual degree Wharton/Engineering) in 4 years. Needless to say, he was an academic outlier. And from a geographically under-represented state as well. He reports that another kid also transfered in mid-year with him...a tennis recruit.

So, it's been done before. But that was a long long time ago. When even the likes of yours truly could get into an Ivy.
    @SevenDad, mid-1980's was a quarter of a century ago, back when the likes of you & me thought 1.2 MB storage capacity on Mac diskettes was awesome. Times change. Remember, even George W. Bush got into Andover way back when.

@Sparkle, unless you have some mind-blowing exceptional quality to offer the school, it's nearly nil that a HADES school would allow you to enroll next semester.

Have you even taken the SSAT exam?
    Have you scheduled an interview?
    Have you gotten teachers recs?
    Have you started writing the entrance essays?
  • muf123muf123 Registered User Posts: 790 Member
    @sparklefun, your best bet is to start the application process to the schools of your choice for next year. You have between now and mid Jan. to get your apps in. At least you have a chance to start 10th grade at a school where you wont be miserable. Good luck.
  • jg0339jg0339 Registered User Posts: 367 Junior Member
    Sparklefun; do you have any special talents, arts, athletics, academics etc? I do know a young woman who got into an excellent private arts school mid-year (4 years ago), and is now at top 10 liberal arts college.

Take a good look at your qualifications, sign up for whatever tests you might have to take and talk to the best guidance counselor at your school. best of luck!
  • moonlitemoonlite Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    I know Emma Willard sometimes accept mid year enrollments. All you have to do is turn in all the applications material by Dec.15.
  • DAndrewDAndrew Registered User Posts: 1,216 Senior Member
    Forgive me for deviating from the topic for a moment. :) GMTPlus, you don't think a George W Bush would be accepted to Andover even today? From what I've read, Bush was actually considered a pretty strong candidate back then AND with today's standards. He's from the underrepresented south, got good grades from his previous school (which of course shouldn't be surprising. It was a local school with much less rigor than Andover) and had colorful sports and extracurricular records. Then back then and even today, with a father like his could only help. According to the "records", there was no contraversy among the reviewers about his application. He just happened to be a "non-intellectual", but his personality and people skills were excellent, and he was very active on campus when he was studying at Andover. I think the way in which elite colleges and BS emphasize diversity makes a phenomenon like George W Bush a constant. After all, isn't one of the diversities elite BS and elite colleges tout diversity in talents and abilities, which are not necessarily in academics?
  • muf123muf123 Registered User Posts: 790 Member
    Phenomenon in what way? Just curious what you mean. No disrespect intended.
  • DAndrewDAndrew Registered User Posts: 1,216 Senior Member
    OK. My bad. I meant the phenomenon (or a fact, occurrence, or circumstance observed or observable) such as someone like Bush being admitted to an elite institution
This discussion has been closed.