Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Interview With Whom?

CherryRoseCherryRose Registered User Posts: 283 Junior Member
edited October 2011 in Prep School Admissions
Next month the TSAO (Ten Schools Admission Organization) will be hosting a reception in my city, and all the schools that have me on their mailing lists have invited me there. I already know which ones I will be applying to and also that I won't be able to travel to their campuses during the application process, which means that I will have to do my interviews off-campus.

All of the schools have admission officers available at the reception for interviews, but they all have other forms of off-campus interview with representatives (alumni, parents of students, etc.). Which type of interview should I opt for? The interview is one of the parts of the application process that I am most confident about, and I understand that it is a two-way process for both the applicant and the school to get to know each other. There is also the concern that, if they assign me a time (do they?) for the interview, whether or not I can fit four separate ones in the day they are in my city and make a favorable impression. I will probably have to RSVP within the next few days, and I'm pretty confused.
Post edited by CherryRose on

Replies to: Interview With Whom?

• PeriwinklePeriwinkle Registered User Posts: 3,505 Senior Member
    In your place, I would opt to interview at the TSAO event. If you have the opportunity to schedule interviews with admissions officers, take it.
  • PaperIdeasPaperIdeas Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    I only scheduled one during the TSAO event in my city. (it hasn't happened yet) The person said they were only staying for a day, so it's going to be hard to fit 4 in a day...I'm just saying...
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Registered User Posts: 283 Junior Member
    I've emailed all four admission officers. I should have done that a week or two ago... it's probably going to be hard, but I'm willing to be absent from school if I have to. Good luck to you, PaperIdeas.
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    If you are particular strong at doing interviews, then I would do it at the TSAO event w an admission officer. The contrast of your strong performance would compare well against the other candidates that are being interviewed on the same day.

If you are not so confident at doing interviews, then maybe an offsite appt with an alum will be more relaxed and less rushed.
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks, GMTplus7.

I'm kind of nervous, though. I haven't really grown up in the same social circles some of the students undoubtedly come from, but I guess I'm not the only one. I'm not trying to stereotype them... but I really have absolutely no idea how they'll expect me to act.
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    Don't stress about the "social circles". Yes there are uber-rich kids at BS, but the majority of the kids are not.

Most important thing at your interview is to be relaxed so you come off as confident, positive and genuine-- don't pretend to be what you are not. Practice answering interview questions with your family or friends, especially the question: why do you want to go to our school. Good luck!
  • PaperIdeasPaperIdeas Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    i'm sorry if I'm hijacking your thread CherryRose, but how long do these interviews typically last? I scheduled mine an hour before the event began...and now I realized I probably could have scheduled another one....
    @PaperIdeas: The rep from Deerfield (coincidentally the first and only one to answer so far) said that we'd plan on it being 25~30 mins. In your place, I'd probably just get it over with.
This discussion has been closed.