right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Dewan is a senior at UT San Antonio majoring in Microbiology/Immunology. She'll be taking over our Instagram account today to share "A day in her life." Head over to our page for an exclusive view of a student's life during COVID-19!
Gap year on your mind? Learn how you can travel the globe and get college credit! REGISTER NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Phillips Exeter Interview Tips

IceTr3IceTr3 2 replies3 threads New Member
edited December 2012 in Prep School Admissions
Hello. I have an interview for Phillips Exeter soon at a cafe, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for interviews at this school and what I should do at the cafe (such as should I buy a drink).
edited December 2012
4 replies
Post edited by IceTr3 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Phillips Exeter Interview Tips

• trumpetjeantrumpetjean 21 replies0 threads New Member
    For the interview, you should jot down some questions that might appear and jot down some ideas, so you can be well prepared. Also bring a set of questions to ask, because interviewers always like it if you have interesting questions to ask.
    · Reply · Share
  • 2prepMom2prepMom 1129 replies11 threads Senior Member
    @ice

buy an iced drink (sorry, couldn't resist given your name). Probably the cafe wil like it better if you both buy something, so a drink is fine. Avoid sticky messy food.

Suggest dressing in something clean and well-fitting, but not too formal. A polo or sweater and nice khakis for a guy, and a skirt or slacks and a shirt or sweater for girls. You want to show respect for the interviewer but this is not a school visit (when boys need a tie). However, you wouldn't be wrong with a shirt and tie if you are male.

Be prepared to explain in detail why you are a good fit for Exeter. Comb the website, read the materials they sent you. Do you like the math pedagogy, Harkness, the classics diploma, advanced science, certain sports, theatre, non sibi? How will you contribute to the community? Be ready to discuss a book you have read, or a challenge you have faced and how you overcame it. What are your strengths and weaknesses? Demonstrate knowledge of Exeter, and show passion about one or several of your interests. Ask questions like advice on adjusting to boarding, the best part the alumnus/a recalls from their experience at Exeter, or similar.
    · Reply · Share
  • IceTr3IceTr3 2 replies3 threads New Member
    So should I buy a drink?
    · Reply · Share
  • girlgeekmomgirlgeekmom 504 replies9 threads Member
    Yes. Read post #3. At the very least it is a courtesy to the place where you'll be hanging out. They are not in the business of hosting interviews. They are in the business of selling drinks and food.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity