Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Advice on Prep Schools for a Freshman

misssmart123misssmart123 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited November 2013 in Prep School Admissions
I will be attending a well known prep school in the fall as a freshman. I am a girl who is coming from a public school so I don't know too much about what life is like going to a prep school. If anyone could give me some tips on academics, social life, or just general helpful information on what to expect in the fall it would be greatly appreciated :)
Post edited by misssmart123 on

Replies to: Advice on Prep Schools for a Freshman

• Charger78Charger78 Registered User Posts: 711 Member
    A good starting place, Miss Smart, might be to scan the titles, or headers, of the threads through three, four, or more, pages, and click on those that seem to address your interests. (You could do the same on the Parents forum as well, and maybe Cafe.) A lot has already been posted that should put you on the track to asking more specific questions of your own here. I saw some great posts on "homesickness" earlier today that I copied for another new freshman. Some schools already have their names in the headers and perhaps you can spot your school (since it is well known) from scanning enough pages. From there, you might private message students who self-identify as having been there for one or more years. That should help the most, I'd think.
  • misssmart123misssmart123 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Thank you Charger. I am new to CC so this will hopefully help me find out more about my school.
  • Andover2015Andover2015 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
  • redtiger2985redtiger2985 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Miss Smart I would like to ask a question to you or another person available does anyone gave some advice on how to help on admissions or tips on isee because I'm extremely scared this moment I'm going to apply to Baylor privateschool I am a good student I am in band play drums ,soccer and tennis I take 9th grade physics in 8 th grade and language and reading honors and math honors what do you think my chances are and any tips ? (Plz excuse my typos)
    Thank you
  • redtiger2985redtiger2985 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Btw Baylor Is in Chattanooga
  • cindymcindym Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    The Boarding School Survival Guide by Andover sophomore Justin Muchnick will be out in June. There are 2 chapters of the book already up on Amazon if you want a preview. Also you can follow the book on Facebook. The book is written by 25 students currently or recently graduated from boarding schools. It was a book we were searching for when my son was applying a couple of years ago. Hope it helps others ow, including you!
  • PhotographerMomPhotographerMom Registered User Posts: 1,591 Senior Member
    My Big New Student Tip : There is no such thing as a second introduction.
  • mrnephewmrnephew Registered User Posts: 4,021 Senior Member
    Eh, school bookstore stuff is expensive.
  • needtoboardneedtoboard Registered User Posts: 1,294 Senior Member
    @AmLetters what school do you go to?
  • AmLettersAmLetters Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    edited June 2014
    oops, I meant to say **discouraged.
    @mrnephew‌ bookstore stuff is expensive but so is shipping a whole lot of school supplies. Although I suppose you could buy supplies in town.
    @needtoboard‌ NMH!
  • mrnephewmrnephew Registered User Posts: 4,021 Senior Member
    That's what I was going for. Apparently at Lawrenceville, you can just cruise into target and get whatever you need.
  • KimberlyLailaKimberlyLaila Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    which school is it? Srry I can't ive u advice i'll be applying in next next spring. :S
    Don't give away the ranch ( tell everyone your life story) and don't push in. Take everything slow......
    Here's one more tip: Don't call your parents the first week and ask to come home.

( This tip benefits you and your parents! )

This discussion has been closed.