Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Question on "second tier" schools

1234568»

Replies to: Question on "second tier" schools

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 33,809 Super Moderator
    I think that should be pinned up for all to read
    I agree. I've pinned the thread.
  • sunnyschoolsunnyschool Registered User Posts: 892 Member
    @seriousswweetie -- great post, thanks so much. The same thing happens to my son. He has very few "academic peers" and when he joined the Robotics team, it turned out the other super smart kid and his 3 friends had set everything up so they were the "core team" and no one else could do anything. My son, who has extensive knowledge of Java, was given Legos to play with! When I talked to the teacher, she did nothing about it. Turns out one of kids' moms was acting as a "team mom" and orchestrated the whole thing! And later I realized these kids were being competitive toward my son...not sharing information, etc.

Just hoping that someday he can be with academic peers. He loves learning and is very worldly (reads constantly) and knows so much about so many things, and wants to find peers like him.
  • CLNMOMCLNMOM Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    sunnyschool, my son had the same experience with the robotics team at his current school. The team dad would have the team meet at his house on the weekends and after school and not include everyone who was supposed to be on the team - it was actually the parent that excluded certain kids and it seemed to me, he was excluding any kid who posed a "threat" to his son because he wanted his son to be the star. I couldn't believe it and my son eventually dropped out. I complained to the school but they didn't do anything about it. This happened last year and in hindsight, I wish I had confronted the team dad but I was too intimidated since we were new at the school ... I guess these things don't happen in my small town but happens elsewhere too. Very sad ...
  • SculptorDadSculptorDad Registered User Posts: 2,136 Senior Member
    @CLNMOM, probably for the resource-poor school, it was either put up with the dad's unfairness or not having a robotics team at all.
    @CLNMOM and @SculptorDad - yep same exact thing happened to my son. The "Team Mom" did the same as your "Team Dad". Lots of private meetings, I found out later from the teacher. So they milked it by then getting donations from the school to go to the "International Robotics Championships" on school funding -- and even asked all team members (those that could only "Play Legos") to fundraise for them! I called them out on it at that point...ummm I already donated $25 for him to join the club, and he isn't invited on the trip, so NO we are not going to fundraise for you! Even the School Council denied them funding once they figured out. And guess what, now those 5 kids are off on their own doing Robotics on a "private team" vs. joining the High school team. I think the reason for that is they didn't want to be low on totem pole at High School, where they'd be given minor roles as Upperclassmen led the team. I really thought the whole situation was inappropriate, and bad leadership.
  • CLNMOMCLNMOM Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    sunnyschool, it is really shocking for me when parents behave badly. sorry you had that experience but you were braver than I. I guess I'm old school and naive ...
  • laenenlaenen Registered User Posts: 372 Member
    Active parental volunteers always have favored nation status. They are the principal's "teacher's pet". I have seen this happen in youth sports also. The life lesson I have taken away from it is that you need to figure out how to work into the inner circle or you will always be on the outside trying to break in.

@laenen True, but we have also attended an elementary school where the principal hated parents in the school. And I hear that's becoming more common in this era of standardized testing and school security.
  • laenenlaenen Registered User Posts: 372 Member
    @sunnyschool -- In our school our principal is like that for most parents but she has a core group that she trusts and keeps around. Everything has to flow through them.
  • stracciatellastracciatella Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    This is terrible. I can't believe these stories!
1234568»
This discussion has been closed.