Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will applying again improve your chances?

LaDiDaDaLaDiDaLaDiDaDaLaDiDa Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
I was recently rejected for upper year at PEA. I was extremely upset because there were posts on the website that described how brilliant several applicants were. There was this one applicant who was very similar to myself...and..I would rather not speak about it. Anyways, I don't know if it is worth it to apply to PEA again. If they did not want me the first time, then what is the point? I don't think I have the time or support to repeat junior year all over again during the 2015-2016 school year. My stats have improved immensely though. I still love physics and I have been learning 6 languages on my own. But I had to drop all of my ECs for a job that I cannot give up due to great financial difficulty. Will this ruin my chances? I am just sick of it all. The gut wrenching moment I received my rejection was just...it killed me. I felt incompetent and I felt ridiculous for applying. My question is, does applying multiple times actually matter to them? Do they really know or care about you? Are you not just another packet in a sea of application packets?

Replies to: Will applying again improve your chances?

• RockCometRockComet Registered User Posts: 342 Member
    LaDi You are a wonderful applicant,, your passion for science is just inspiring so I cannot but make you apply again xp lol
    Definitely do :) it will show you really want to go to PEA and that you god the determination that it takes :3 and your stats have improved... its worth a shot :) :D

However...I dont know anything about applying for senior year, but it seems a little harsh to go to a new school, adapting to the lessons and hw the year that you have the college applications to send in. In that case you should be better off 11th grade... However this is only my opinion it maybe not that way...i dont know :P Either way, I wish you the best of luck in your future :)
  • pdl100pdl100 Registered User Posts: 450 Member
    It's worth a shot. The schools do like to see determination and tenacity, and they'll see how much you loved the school. Figure out how to market yourself; for example, get into contact with the science and language teachers so they can put in a good word for you. Explain how much even one year at PEA would change you and be great for your education. It will be tough, but you've got a chance. Good luck.
  • boardingjunkieboardingjunkie Registered User Posts: 243 Junior Member
    I would definitely apply to Exeter, as well as a few other schools. I know how there's always that one school that just captures your heart, but you'd be surprised how how much you can learn to "love the school that loves you."
    (I speak from personal experience haha)
    But definitely reapply! I was a reapplicant this year I Exeter and got in! If you truly try to fix what went wrong, have a killer interview, and form good relationships with whoever you interview with, you have a great chance!
  • stargirl3stargirl3 Registered User Posts: 3,425 Senior Member
    CALL THE ADMISSION OFFICE. DO IT. If you interviewed with someone there, send them an email saying you'd like to talk about your application and set up a time to call. I did this and they were amazing. They'll give you feedback and you can ask what you can do to improve your chances and explain your situation.

I'd like to point out that for many, applying again works out. However, it's not a ticket in. I was waitlisted at Groton two years in a row, so as others have said, I would cast a wider net this year. Good luck! :)
  • twinsmamatwinsmama Registered User Posts: 1,605 Senior Member
    What Stargirl said. Talk to them. Be brave. Try to stay positive (I don't mean just about this but in general). You are sure to find your way and do well in life IF you don't pay attention to that negative voice in your head...the one that says you are incompetent and stupid when you are anything but. And remember that Exeter is not the be-all and end-all of the world; maybe you should start focusing on college applications. College will enlarge your world and you will find your people there.
  • prepschoolwannabprepschoolwannab Registered User Posts: 147 Junior Member
    Applying twice looks good because it shows grit and determination. Those are qualities that admissions officers like to see and they're not always as apparent when an applicant applies just once (IMO). Does applying twice always work? Nope. I was waitlisted two years in a row at the same school, but this time around I lucked out with a few acceptances from other schools. Admissions is crazy in the fact that you just never know for sure until you actually have the decision letter in hand...
  • neatoburritoneatoburrito Registered User Posts: 3,449 Senior Member
    Honestly, you would be better served to focus on college apps as a current junior. Make next fall all about getting a new opportunity in college, not high school.
  • AgincourtAgincourt Registered User Posts: 196 Junior Member
    Neato is right and may I say you have a real opportunity here. Turn this around. You aren't on this planet to try to please someone else, e.g. AOs at fancy prep schools. If they don't choose you, consider that their loss not yours. Instead, think way ahead. What are your true life goals, beyond high school, beyond college? What summit(s) do you want to climb? Just think of how the view from there will be, not whether one path's blocked. You'll find another and you'll get to where you want to go.
  • patronyorkpatronyork Registered User Posts: 439 Member
    You can re-apply and I am sure it will only prove you have determination and passion for PEA. However applying as a senior will be a different (and very important) issue to consider. I am rather against it. You would need to experience at least two years there to learn something.
  • LaDiDaDaLaDiDaLaDiDaDaLaDiDa Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    Thank you very much everybody! I have decided that the prep school dream ends here for me. I am just going to continue learning languages and possibly publishing a scientific research paper. Physics brings me to tears, in the positive sense hahaha. Well thank you. It's been an incredible journey and everyone has been insightful, kind, and blunt!
  • twinsmamatwinsmama Registered User Posts: 1,605 Senior Member
    Wise choice. Good luck to you!
  • mrnephewmrnephew Registered User Posts: 4,021 Senior Member
    This is sad. Best of luck.
  • A08842A08842 Registered User Posts: 2,554 Senior Member
    Good luck. I hope you get into your dream college.
  • needtoboardneedtoboard Registered User Posts: 1,294 Senior Member
    As one door closes, another will open. You will get into the college of your dreams. It was nice getting to know your story.
  • stargirl3stargirl3 Registered User Posts: 3,425 Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    Good luck, @Ladidadawhateveryournameis. I can't make promises, but I have a feeling everything will work out in the end. From one Exeter reject to another! ~O) :-h
This discussion has been closed.