Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What to include when applying?

GreenGirl77GreenGirl77 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
I'm in the process of applying to Phillips Exeter and it's been suggested to me that I include something extra, for example, my poetry/short stories, on top of the documents they ask for. I don't know if this will be seen as superfluous and an inability to follow directions, or if it's going to be the thing that sets me apart and shows the committee who I really am. Advice? Experience?

-Much appreciated

p.s. Is there any way to delete threads? I'm new to CC and hadn't realized there's a prep school forum, so I originally posted this to the general college forum.

Replies to: What to include when applying?

• A08842A08842 Registered User Posts: 2,554 Senior Member
    You might want to contact a moderator.
  • DaykidmomDaykidmom Registered User Posts: 560 Member
    It definitely won't be seen as an inability to follow directions. Generally, the suggestion is to include something if it I'd a "hook" for you-- if you're an accomplished athlete (video), musician, dancer, artist, writer-- and you'll stand out among other applicants. Then, by all means, send the additional material. If you're a solid but not exceptional whatever-your-skill- is, I wouldn't send it. It will seem a little superfluous or even might make you look less exceptional when compared to others in your chosen EC area ( most applicants are pretty good in several areas). But if, for example, you've won some writing contest, or if your teachers have said you've really done some exceptional work (poetry or story), then send it. Many schools ask for a graded essay anyway, so I wouldn't include an extra school paper, but if you're an exceptional creative writer, by all means send something.
  • GreenGirl77GreenGirl77 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.