Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Applying to selective boarding schools in 2015-16 app cycle? Read this...

Replies to: Applying to selective boarding schools in 2015-16 app cycle? Read this...

• PhotographerMomPhotographerMom Registered User Posts: 1,822 Senior Member
    " If any new applicants have any questions, feel free to DM me because unlike OP, I believe being uniformed is just part of the process. "

Say that again? My dad had a great saying: If you want to get someone mad at you tell them the truth.

@LaxPrep - Being uninformed puts you at a disadvantage every.single.time. Knowledge is power.... or something and luck rarely has anything to do with it. I think if you read the OP again, you'll see the wisdom. :)

I do, however, like the advice you gave about having an open mind. It is very wise for BS applicants to branch out and look at a wide range of schools ( beyond the usual suspects ) because you never know.... a school lower on someone's list can move to top spot in a heartbeat. I've seen it happen countless times but it won't happen unless your heart and mind are open.

All the best to you. :)
  • LaxPrepLaxPrep Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    @PhotographerMom

Of course I agree that being uniformed puts you at a disadvantage, but everyone starts with little to no knowledge unless they are legacies. If new candidates are too afraid to post "amateur" threads, they will never learn!

Besides not wanting to stigmatize the new applicants, my only other critism was about the pessimistic nature of how people were presenting tips. For example, although I believe humility is a very important virtue, I do not like the fact that some were implying that a 4.0 is nothing special. There are more positive ways to spin it such as "since many of the selective schools receive more qualified applicants than they can take, admission to a school is never a sure bet, even with a 4.0"

Hope you understand where I am coming from, thanks for the comment @PhotographerMom
  • payn4wardpayn4ward Registered User Posts: 3,000 Senior Member
    "since many of the selective schools receive more qualified applicants than they can take, admission to a school is never a sure bet, even with a 4.0"
    I absolutely agree with this and I also think that saying above is neither "negative" nor "discouraging."
    I think this thread and many others in this forum is filled with realistic and practical advices.
    The point of the thread is read and research, inform yourself, etc not in any way to discourage or scare someone.

Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

• panpacificpanpacific Registered User Posts: 1,302 Senior Member
    It's important not to fall in love with a school too soon. It is important to cast a wide net of schools with different selectivities or otherwise find your "safety" first be it you LPS or a day school. However, know that selective as they are, PA and PEA do admit kids just like you. MANY of the current students there once were like you uncertain about their odds. Don't be scared and don't be discouraged. Give it your best run. Whatever the outcome is, you will learn from that experience. Good luck!
  • itcannotbetrueitcannotbetrue Registered User Posts: 496 Member
    @TheStig2--Thanks for the fantastic post!
  • sadieshadowsadieshadow Registered User Posts: 263 Junior Member
    I am a new (and grateful) reader to this section of CC. My son is in 7th and we are starting unofficial visits this year to get a good sense of our list before Fall. What do you think of an area to post visit notes? Somewhere we could share our observations of schools that we have toured?
  • 31cruzan31cruzan Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    We too are in the boat of applying to bs schools for 2015-16. We have toured four so far and our DS's reactions have been confirmation for the most part on the type of bs that will be the right "fit" for him. We are truly searching for the right fit. Based on four visits so far, the process confirmed that he wants a smallish school and finds the biggies -- Choate, Andover and Exeter -- much too big....next up are bs with 500-600 students and we will see how that goes....
  • PhotographerMomPhotographerMom Registered User Posts: 1,822 Senior Member
    @31cruzan - There are some wonderful schools in the 300-400 range, too. Berkshire School is a great example:

http://www.berkshireschool.org/
  • 6teenSearch6teenSearch Registered User Posts: 270 Junior Member
    edited October 2015
    @31cruzan

You could start a new thread. Maybe something like: Recent BS Tour Impressions from those Applying in '16?
  • sadieshadowsadieshadow Registered User Posts: 263 Junior Member
    Great. Will start thread now
  • 31cruzan31cruzan Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    Thanks, @PhotographerMom, I will check out Berkshire.
This discussion has been closed.