I have not been that active on the forum for a few months, either in reading or contributing to it...but I did a quick scan of the front page today and see that the latest wave of eager, optimistic, and relatively uninformed applicants seems to be rolling in.
I have seen this year after year. And every year dole out advice similar to this:
- There is no "magic bullet" to getting into one of the more selective boarding schools in the US
- With admit rates in the teens, your chances of getting into schools like Phillips Andover are not good
- Starting many random new posts that indicate you have done little to no research about specific schools will yield little
- Searching, finding, and reading the volumes that have been written here on CC about the most popular schools is smart...writing directly to the key contributors to those sorts of threads (assuming they are still active on the forum) is even smarter
- Considering schools other than PA and PEA is wise
- Applying only to PA and PEA is not that wise — if your goal is to attend boarding school (and not just PA/PEA)