Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What are the most asked interview questions in Phillips Andover or Exeter?

ihkang0122ihkang0122 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
What are the most asked interview questions in Phillips Andover or Exeter?
Thank you!

Replies to: What are the most asked interview questions in Phillips Andover or Exeter?

• CenterCenter Registered User Posts: 1,457 Senior Member
    As I recall it was what did you like most about the tour? What books do you like to read, recent books read. Why Andover, Exeter? What subjects in school do you like the most?
  • SculptorDadSculptorDad Registered User Posts: 1,810 Senior Member
    Daughter says they both asked her to describe her homeschooling, what she does with free time, and why she wants to apply their schools.
  • GoatMamaGoatMama Registered User Posts: 768 Member
    How would your friends describe you? How would your siblings describe you? What did you do in the summer? Have you experienced any setback or hardship? How did you deal with it?
  • ihkang0122ihkang0122 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
  • andoveracceptedandoveraccepted Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    HI! I know I'm really late to this, but as a student at PA I think I can help you understand the interview process. First off, the interviewer wants to determine if and why you want to attend Andover. If you are a boarding student, he or she will ask about the challenges you may face being away from home (time management, homesickness, etc.) Then, they will ask you about your school, friends, and family! Some of my questions were: How has your current school defined you? Do you think your friends have influenced you in any major way? etc.... Good Luck!! =D>
  • AnonymousiaAnonymousia Registered User Posts: 242 Junior Member
    When I interviewed at both, they both asked me my favorite book (read outside of school) and why
  • MABlueMABlue Registered User Posts: 165 Junior Member
    It has been over 4 years so I don't have and exact recollection of the interview questions, however I remember that none of the questions were anything that would catch me off guard. Even if this doesn't reach OP, I think it is valuable for anyone interviewing at one of these schools. During the interview, I did not once feel like I was being "interviewed" It felt like more of a conversation. My interviewer told my parents after they interview how she was impressed that I was able to carry on a conversation. The advice here: Get used to talking to strangers, and remember that this is not an interrogation. It is a conversation
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 857 Member
    Books, look at each school's summer reading list to get ideas. Books that talks about interesting contemporary events and ideas. Khaled Hosseini all three books, Jeannette Walla (The Glass Castle, Half Broke Horses), etc.
  • scareddwarfscareddwarf Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    Most questions are pretty straightforward - What's your favorite subject? What do you do outside of school? Describe your family.. etc. At Andover I recall being asked about my proudest moment. At Exeter I was asked how my teachers and peers would describe me, and later if I were to have a year to pursue any educational opportunity what it would be and why. I also have a friends who interviewed at Exeter with questions like: "Do they talk about Ferguson at your school?/What is your opinion?" "Have you ever cheated?/Is cheating wrong?" and even "What would your tombstone say?" They also might ask you to list other schools you're applying to. It's a pretty awkward part of the convo, but just be honest.
    In general, don't be afraid to talk a LOT. I was always scared that I was rambling, but you should take control over the conversation even though the interviewer is asking the questions. At my Andover interview, the officer hardly spoke, later telling my parents that he expected me to take the reins.
    Also be prepared with your own questions - you'll be asked if you have any at the end of the interview, so have at least 2 or 3 ready.
    Thank you so much! I am about to schedule my interview for Andover!
  • redbluegoldgreenredbluegoldgreen Registered User Posts: 1,256 Senior Member
    What's your favorite subject and why and what do you like to do outside school? Groton: Do you play a sport? How would your friends describe you? What's important to you? (Deerfield). What was your biggest challenge and how did you handle it ? (Choate). Describe your family (Choate, Deerfield, all of them).
  • redbluegoldgreenredbluegoldgreen Registered User Posts: 1,256 Senior Member
    Groton: what stuck out? What is it about the school that strikes you?
    Thank you @redbluegoldgreen @andoveraccepted @Anonymousia @MAandMEmom @MABlue @scareddwarf for tons of informations!! It was incredibly helpful:))
    I'm about to schedule the tour and interview for Andover.

• scareddwarfscareddwarf Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    Good luck!!! I'll be starting at PA this year, so if you have any other questions about the application/school feel free to PM me
  • hemingwaymanhemingwayman Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    PA asked me pretty standard questions (mentioned above), but PEA asked me that plus some such as what has been your biggest success/failure to date and what have you done that you're proudest of.
This discussion has been closed.