Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Mid- Atlantic Girls school recommendations

lestoufferlestouffer Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
Finally it has come time for my youngest to start looking for boarding school. We managed to make a great match with her big sisters schools, but like in other aspects, they have all insisted upon "not my sister's school" when making this choice. I would like for this one to attend a girls school, for many reasons, and have been looking at the ones pretty much from North Carolina to Grier in PA. Lots in MD, VA too. Any preferences and why..... I still have to convince her to go the all girls route (her biggest sister attended an all girls day school for middle school) and I enjoyed my all girls classes at Kent more than my coed ones (before the merger of the 2 campuses).
I'm not giving up the fight yet, but have also been considering the coed schools in this area as well. So I'll take opinions on these too.

Replies to: Mid- Atlantic Girls school recommendations

• EarlyMTNesterEarlyMTNester Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    Take a look at Saint Mary's School in Raleigh. Historic. Just celebrated its 175th year.

Small classes, good teachers, can be as challenging as a hard-charging girl wants it to be or as supportive as a slacker might need to get through. Good advisory program.

It is located right on Hillsborough Street, in walking distance to the state capitol, NC State, and Cameron Village shopping center.

New Head of School, so it will be a time of energy and progress.

It has more girls than Chatham Hall or Foxcroft, in part because of the day students associated with being in a city the size of Raleigh. Not quite as big as Madeira. Good relationship with boy's schools, such as Woodberry Forest, but the day students also can be really helpful in finding dates for dances.

Casual dress code.Girls mostly wearing t-shirts, Nike shorts, and either tennis shoes or chacos. Easy for girls to feel comfortable to be themselves.

Gorgeous onyx class ring that girls wear long after they leave high school. Not unusual for 35 year-old alum to spot ring on a recent grad, or vice versa, and start a conversation in far-flung locales.
This discussion has been closed.