Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are the advantage of completing a PG year?

icekiss45icekiss45 . Posts: 424 Member
edited June 2006 in Prep School Admissions
A friend of mine is doing a Post Graduate yr next yr at a boarding prep school in Connecticut. I think this is cool and interesting. I would never do it cuz im trying to get done with my education as fat as possible...lol. But why do you think some ppl consider and eventually do PG yrs?
Post edited by icekiss45 on

Replies to: What are the advantage of completing a PG year?

• Jonathan1Jonathan1 Registered User Posts: 5,744 Senior Member
    Maybe they feel they're not ready for college.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 22,510 Senior Member
    There are a number of reasons why kids do a PG year. Sometimes it is for athletics. Some college coaches suggest this so the kid can grow and strengthen for another year without using up eligibility or red-shirting. If the senior year recruiting didn't go as planned, it gives the kid another shot and a PG coach might have good connections.
    Also-academic reasons. This gives a student a chance to improve the transcript, take some interesting courses and have the PG school's counseling resources.
    Some kids come out of high school a little young and unfocused. A PG year gives them a chance to live away from home (if boarding) and transition to college independence.
    The PGs at my son's boarding school were awesome. Last year one signed for football with North Carolina. He graduated from high school at a top prep day school, but wasn't sure exactly what athletic direction he wanted to take. He was from a family of professional and top collegiate football players, but was seriously considering basketball. The PGs blend right in with the senior class and really seem to love the experience.
  • goaliedadgoaliedad Registered User Posts: 2,199 Senior Member
    Some students who start in their Junior year will take 3 years at a prep school to have a longer prep experience.

And a few students look at it like a year off between high school and college. They work on a lot of volunteer projects and other things like that.
  • davida1davida1 . Posts: 312 Member
    Usually the only people that do well in college admissions that are PG's are recruited athletes, not students who want to have the prep school experience and aren't quite ready for college. They will have big competition academically when they get there (depending on the school). Just another perspective. I wouldn't recommend it, particularly if it's because you weren't accepted to your top choice college. Just go to college, and transfer. It is also an expensive decision to make (perhaps unnecessarily so).
    The PGs at my son's boarding school did extremely well with college admissions. Non-athlete admissions include USC, Wash U and many other top schools.
  • creasemonkeycreasemonkey Registered User Posts: 236 Junior Member
    I would agree with MoWC about the PG experience. Our S just finished his PG year and was accepted at several great universities that he was rejected from after his first graduation from a very competitive public high school. The experience of a competitive boarding school has given him a much better academic foundation for success in college. Also, the overall experience of living away from home and learning to get along with all kinds of people in many different situations has been important developing his independence. S will be entering a 6-year PharmD program in September so will be extremely important to get a good start in college. (Trying to transfer into a pharmacy program after a mediocre earlier college start would have been impossible.)

Expensive - youi're right -- was it worth it? To us it was definitely worth it in our son's case!
  • davida1davida1 . Posts: 312 Member
    I guess prestige is relative. But, I wouldn't consider a pharmacology program or USC/Wash U very competitive schools in terms of admissions in comparison to where roughly 1/3 of the graduates of TOP boarding schools are attending, which include places like Brown, Yale, Columbia, Georgetown, Stanford, Harvard, Dartmouth, Duke, U Pennsylvania, Williams, Cornell, MIT, etc. Congrats on their accomplishments though. I guess I am just coming from a different vantage point having gone to a top boarding school and an Ivy League college.
    creasemonkey - I take it that somebody in your family is a goalie perhaps your son? If so, any insights on the PG experience as a goalie? I know that all returning goalies fear the PG showing up.

Pardon the OT discussion.

And BTW davida1, If your thing is film arts or related fields, USC is THE place to go to school and as is tough to get into for that field as HYP for many academics. I don't know much about U Wash, but they have some pride too.

So please don't look down on schools you are not familiar with.
  • scarletleavyscarletleavy Registered User Posts: 2,374 Senior Member
    A girl I played soccer with took a PG year at a prep school before heading off to Princeton. For her it was to mature a little bit. She was only sixteen when she graduated high school and wanted another year before she went off to college. I don't think she wanted to be the youngest there.
    davida1- I hope the other graduates of your prep school are less arrogant. Guess what? Not everyone WANTS to go to an Ivy. My son actually will be going to an Ivy, but there are many reasons why someone would choose a competitive LAC (such as WashU) over an Ivy. There are financial and athletic reasons for school choices as well. My son's boarding school was not one of the "Big 7", but most of the senior and PG graduates were very pleased with their college acceptances. Besides that, there were a lot more benefits of being at the school than chalking up Ivy acceptances.
  • jedwardsjedwards Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    I agree with MomofWildChild 100% - and the person who posted negatively about WashU may not know that WashU is NOT University of Washington, but a private university in St. Louis called Washington University - and in most college guides is touted as the "Harvard of the Midwest." very, very tough to get into and very prestigious, especially in some fields....Just some perspective from me.
  • creasemonkeycreasemonkey Registered User Posts: 236 Junior Member
    goaliedad - yes, lots of prep schools bring in PG goalies - it is definitely hard on the JV or soph goalies to move up unless they are exceptional. PGs often come in at 18 years old with several 50-60 game AAA or junior season experience - something that a 24 game prep season (especially if it was split between a couple goalies) doesn't offer.

davida1 - there is a difference between "pharmacology" as a major and a 6-yr doctorate of pharmacy program. IMHO prestige is definitely relative - making a good choice of college that is the best fit for an individual's interests and aptitudes would be a higher priority in my books.

BTW I graduated from UC Berkeley and have parents who are both Stanford grads (just so you know my vantage point.) My mom attended Wellesley for a couple years before transferring to Stanford. Since our son went to school on the east coast last year, I have a much better appreciation for many of the smaller, less well-known (less prestigious in your eyes?) schools that take a more personalized approach to their students.

If a student chooses to take advantage of a PG prep year, he/she will surely benefit from it in college and in his/her future outside of school.

There are a lot of great schools out there offering many diverse choices for our kids. IMHO everyone should be happy that there are so many opportunities for finding a really good fit. (We can't be knowledgeable about all of them, so let's not assume they aren't as good as the ones we do know about.)
    creasemonkey - I've heard much the same about many programs (on the boys side) bringing in PG goalies. The school where my D will be going as a 9th grader next fall has no returning goalies. So far my D is the only goalie to come on board and was at the top of their recruiting list, but you never know who will show up in the fall (PG?).

She's been playing boys and girls for the last few years and has gotten used to the long season. It will be quite an adjustment, especially if she has to split time. She may pre-post as well, though.

BTW, I am a Cal alum as well.

Is your son going to be playing at Northeastern?
This discussion has been closed.