Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Academic Pressure At Andover vs Other Elite Prep Schools?

13»

Replies to: Academic Pressure At Andover vs Other Elite Prep Schools?

• momof3swimmersmomof3swimmers Registered User Posts: 378 Member
    Yes classes assign homework each night, but if I remember correctly Andover has a rotating schedule, so you don’t have ALL classes each day. You miss one core class. This was done specifically to reduce the workload. If you have a class long block, it doesn’t meet the next day, giving you one less class of homework to worry about each night. Also, weds are half days and a good day to get caught up and there are no weekend classes. There is a lot of work, but you also need to be smart about your time.

At A/E there are no study halls. You have to check into your dorm but it is on you what you do with your time after that. There are study hours, but no one is collecting phones, or really making sure you are doing your work. It is on you. Some dorms are strict and some are lax with lights out. Some nights I know SwimKid is playing video games after study hours, but he also does homework during office hours and free blocks and sometimes lunch.
  • AetrusAetrus Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    @momof3swimmers is correct on all counts. I'm a current PA student, and there's only one day a week I have all five of my classes, with the other days being between 2-4 (will vary depending on which courses you take and what periods you have them). While Mon, Tues and Fri are officially days when all classes meet, certain classes (typically humanities and some foreign languages) will have "red dot" days meaning that on either Monday or Tuesday, that class will not meet. Between that and the "Friday Free" which is new this year as part of the Empathy and Balance scheduling, you will have at least one class not meet more often then not. Then on Wednesday and Thursday you never have more than 3 classes (75 minute blocks as opposed to 45)

No official study halls, but between free periods during the day and "study hours" (as explained above) at night, the workload is considerable but definitely manageable. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.
  • Happytimes2001Happytimes2001 Registered User Posts: 564 Member
    I'm not sure anyone can answer this question (unless we had about a dozen current students tackling it). Some kids are using the internet/phone as a distraction tool while other kids are going to be studying during the day in small pieces and have little work at night. We heard from a student that she had only about 1 hour max 2 hours per night. She seemed bright, focused and not a time waster. For my kid, writing takes a long time but the rest is attacked with a plan in mind. I think many kids are pushing the envelope based on parental pressures rather than intellectual curiousity but who knows? Maybe some just want the grades and so are willing to put in extraordinary hours of work. Either way, it seems like from our data collection that boarding schools have more assigned times for homework thereby reducing the perceived time to completion vs. the public schools (with their endless array of AP courses in which some kids chose 1 and others chose all). Impossible to tell until you get there, IMHO.
  • potterpointspotterpoints Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    Many of my friends at BS schools with internet restrictions usually do all of their work that requires internet first and then paper assignments, this way they don't have to worry about the internet getting cut off. A lot of people usually end up using Hotspot after the internet turning off anyway.
13»