Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

10th grade Applicants?

Replies to: 10th grade Applicants?

• buuzn03buuzn03 Registered User Posts: 1,285 Senior Member
    @SportyStudent21 DS applied to 11 schools on Gateway, so he, too, was exhausted once all was completed and turned in....but as @applier1 notes, he still says the waiting was the hardest part. Just don't spend time second guessing yourself! GOOD LUCK!!
  • TATS1234TATS1234 Registered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    Hey guys. I, too, am applying for 10th grade. I have a different question. It seems the SSAT scoring is different from that of 8th graders going into 9th. Makes sense. But what's usually shared here is for those going into 9th. So my comparisons fell apart. My 2211 score is in the 86th percentile for our grade and yet it would have been above 90th were we still in the previous grade. So if you don't mind, please share your SSAT overall scores and the percentile you fell in. I'm practicing for the Feb 3rd one and I am so swarmed with all my honors classes and I want to target a certain percentile as I did when I took it the first time. I know some are against this, but those who are please help. For me, it really helps.
  • dramakid2dramakid2 Registered User Posts: 152 Junior Member
    @TATS1234 the SSAT percentiles compare you against other students in the same grade who have taken the test for the past 3 years. Students currently in 8th grade are only compared to other 8th grade students, and percentiles are calculated accordingly. As a 9th grader, you are being compared to other students who are also currently in the 9th grade. Since you now have an extra year of school under your belt, it is likely that you have covered more topics in math, vocab and etc compared to when you took the test in 8th grade. As such, you would expect your overall score to be higher in 9th grade.

So if you scored a 2211 in 8th grade, it would make sense that you were in the 90th percentiles, in comparison to other 8th grade students. But since 9th grade students probably score higher overall on the test due to an extra year of school, it would make sense that an overall 2211 may only fall into the 86th percentiles since you are competing with other 9th graders who took it.
    Thanks, @dramakid2. That was my suspicion too. But only realized it too late. :)
  • FunintheSun1211FunintheSun1211 Registered User Posts: 417 Member
    Lots of schools almost double their sophomore class
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,288 Senior Member
    Did any of you 10th grade applicants express a desire to be considered acceptance into the 9th grade (or whatever said school calls it)? I would imagine that would help your chances. A good many (I would venture a guess that at my DD's school its 20 or 30%) students repeat a year. And in my limited experience, it seems most of the day and junior boarding school students that go through 9th grade repeat at BS.
  • applier1applier1 Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    I just read on Andover's website that it accepts 85 new sophomores; @MAandMEmom I really don't want to repeat 9th grade because I'm old for a 9th grader (not because of any setbacks or anything).
    @applier1 “old” for a 9th grader in public schools us different than for BS, because as @MAandMEmom says, many kids repeat 9th and therefore, the 14 yr old 9th grader is a minority.
  • altabluealtablue Registered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    I was asked if I was considering repeating 9th (I turn fifteen only just before 10th grade starts) but I'm only just applying for 10th. I wasn't really into the idea of repeating a year (which also would mean an extra year of tuition fees!) and I guess I believe I'm mature enough to handle it (fingers crossed ;) )
  • SportyStudent21SportyStudent21 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    @applier1 You're right about the exhaustion from waiting for decisions. I keep thinking about March 10th, but I'm trying to remain positive and focus on school. Hopefully we'll all have good news on this thread in March!
  • Cristian007Cristian007 Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    @TATS1234 I got a 96% and 2292 overall on the December SSAT. I took it for the first time in November and got an 86%, so taking it again, I believe, most definitely helps. I applied to Exeter, Lawrenceville, Choate, Taft, Loomis Chaffee, and Fountain Valley School.
    Thanks @Cristiano07. That gives me hope. :)
  • Cristian007Cristian007 Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    @TATS1234 My pleasure! Feel free to contact me if you need any advice or help throughout any of the application process! Best of luck!
  • CaliPopsCaliPops Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    DC, who is a 14 y/o 9th grader, had the impression that most other 9th graders were also 14.
    My D.C. Is a 14 yo freshman but has always ben 1-2 years behind his class in age....even at LDS. Funny, though, because he hangs out with V and VI formers...I wonder how much is a difference between being a girl vs boy, @CaliPops