Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Lawrenceville Interview with the Dean of Admissions

Replies to: Lawrenceville Interview with the Dean of Admissions

• PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 4,306 Senior Member
    I ask because I am a bit curious based on your list as to the missing "usual suspects".

Also, I tried to encourage a friend's son to apply to Taft & Loomis Chaffee, but he decided to apply to others based on internet searches.
  • Cristian007Cristian007 Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    @Publisher Thank you! Yes, I had interviews with Choate, Taft, Exeter, and Lawrenceville. I have not been able to visit the schools as I only live with my father and he's been extremely busy this year. However, I will be going to the revisit days if I get accepted to any of the schools. The only reason I am missing the "usual suspects" is due to the fact I just didn't feel as Deerfield, Groton, and Andover were places that'd I be happy at and they just didn't feel like the right fit. Moreover, I was going to still apply to them put as I kept procrastinating I was left no time to write essays for those three schools by their deadlines. I believe Taft and Loomis Chaffee are simply great schools, academically and as of environment. This is due to them not being overly large though still maintaining the academic rigor of schools like Exeter. As a result, you get a community based AND academically rigorous school, something I believe would be more difficult to find at Exeter and Choate.
    I reread your other thread which shared your background info. I will be a bit shocked if you receive anything but positive reviews.

Our main concerns were academic quality & high percentage of boarding students. Didn't apply to as many schools as you have.

Hotchkiss might have been an interesting option for you to consider based on your trading interests.
    EDIT: I meant "positive results".
  • AllSmiles2AllSmiles2 Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    @Publisher I'm a somewhat successful swing trader, but I didn't feel the need to mention it in my application. Now I'm feeling like I should've mentioned it...
    Depends upon how you present it. Okay if from a theoretical approach that yielded great results, but not so good if presentation suggests sophisticated gambling.
    With respect to OP, his brief resume on another thread presents a complete package that many schools seek: highly intelligent, rigorous course work, well traveled, athlete, leadership, public speaking & demonstrated success in an outside interest/endeavor.

• AllSmiles2AllSmiles2 Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    edited February 13
    @Publisher I trade using formulas.

I decided not to post my resume, as I believe it gives you a false sense of security or insecurity when people "chance" you. OP has very impressive stats. But like @ChoatieMom aforementioned, you can never be sure of anything.
    Okay.
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 4,594 Senior Member
    edited February 13
    With respect to OP, his brief resume on another thread presents a complete package that many schools seek: highly intelligent, rigorous course work, well traveled, athlete, leadership, public speaking & demonstrated success in an outside interest/endeavor.

I agree, but that is the typical resume of our CC kids and hundreds of others they are competing against. Not everyone will get the news they want on M10. Often FA need, which is out of their control, will play a big part in their results.

So kids, sit tight, post all you want on the Freak Out thread, and we’ll wait up and watch with you as we do every year while the results roll in on M10. Good luck to you all. :)
    I believe that OP is a full pay student.

I agree that most applicants have very good to excellent resumes. Nevertheless, some stand out to particular readers & OP's stands out to me. Raises a few minor questions about specifics, however.
  • snapchatsnapchat Registered User Posts: 212 Junior Member
    edited February 14
    @Publisher Real gambling is when you deal with cryptocurrency. I made a measly profit of 500 with 10 bucks. Got a whole lotta attention from the AO's during interviews.
  • Cristian007Cristian007 Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    @snapchat I agree with you. What schools did you apply to?