Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.

SSAT preparations

jua3030jua3030 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
What would I expect to see on the SSAT? I'm taking it this February 24, and I want to know what tips I should keep in mind and skills I should focus more on. Thanks.

Replies to: SSAT preparations

• willmowillmo Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    I would definitely prepare for the best (or the worst). On my first SSAT, I got frazzled by the writing sample question, as well as some of the questions on math. It was supposed to be my strongest area, and seeing that I didn't do as well as I had planned in a certain area definitely threw me off for the rest of the test. For preparation, take a ton of practice tests, as well as GOING OVER WHAT YOU MISS. Good luck!
  • brassarrowbrassarrow Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    When taking practice tests, make sure you get a result at least 10th percentile above your desired score. I was kind of disappointed by my SSAT scores even though my practice test scores were very high.
    Practice tests are easier than the real thing.
  • altabluealtablue Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    ^^ On the contrary, my practice test scores were in the low 60's and my final was a 99th, so I'd say don't read too much into it; use it as exactly what it is, practice.

For the maths section, check out the UKMT IMC past papers, questions mirror those on the SSAT perfectly; they literally are the same. Use online resources to practise competition maths questions (it seems that competition maths students fare better, as the questions on the SSAT aren't as alien)