Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Looking for some resource for Grammar and Vocabulary

phemrajaniphemrajani Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
My son will be preparing for HSPT and was looking for Grammar and Vocabulary resources to improve his skills.

Replies to: Looking for some resource for Grammar and Vocabulary

• STEM2017STEM2017 Registered User Posts: 3,201 Senior Member
    edited June 12
    I always recommend William Strunk's classic book, The Elements of Style. It is a great start.

Its 46 pages long, it costs $3 on Amazon,it can be read in a day, it will stay useful for a lifetime.

It is the most impactful book on writing I have ever read.
  • ccprofandmomof2ccprofandmomof2 Registered User Posts: 301 Member
    I like the videos on The Nature of Writing website. Also, the Purdue OWL.
  • SatchelSFSatchelSF Registered User Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    edited June 13
    Depends on how much time he has, and how high he is aiming, but I would recommend Meltzer's "Ultimate Guide to SAT Grammar" and accompanying workbook as great resources.

No idea about vocabulary books, but my kid's elementary school gave them access to a program, membean.com, that was very helpful and fun. Good luck to him!
  • STEM2017STEM2017 Registered User Posts: 3,201 Senior Member
    I second the membean.com advice.

My son's high school requires 15 minutes of membean, 3 times a week. They track it and he gets graded. It improved his vocabulary a great deal this past year.
  • brantlybrantly Registered User Posts: 3,247 Senior Member
    Read The New York Times for 20 minutes every day. Best way to learn grammar and vocabulary is to experience it in use.