Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Transfer from Kent to Choate?

jakobschultzjakobschultz Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
Would you think it'd be worth it to apply from Kent and transfer to CRH as a junior repeat as a asian high honors inner city fine arts focused student seeking financial aid. I applied in 2015 but got waitlisted.

Replies to: Transfer from Kent to Choate?

• PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 4,543 Senior Member
    Without more information, no.

Why do you want to transfer ? If due to poor grades, consider attending an elite prep boarding school as an "academic PG" (as opposed to one who enrolls in a post graduate year primarily for athletic reasons).
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 4,709 Senior Member
    edited November 5
    This post is confusing. Are you a Kent student currently? Why do you think Choate is a better school than Kent? (Hint: It isn't.)

If you are already a junior somewhere else and are focusing on Choate's arts programs, why not just keep doing what you're doing wherever you are and pursue your art in college? It's tough to join a junior BS class that will be readying for the college application cycle with no history with the school, teachers, or counselors. Also, if you are planning to apply to college as an artist, junior year at Choate is probably not going to significantly add to your portfolio regardless of the art form. First trimester/semester of your senior year will be spent on college apps; colleges will not see your entire senior year, so junior year is going to count most heavily. I say, make the most of that year at your current school.

I'm just taking a stab. There is not enough information here to give you any good counsel.
    Agree that the original post in this thread is confusing. Why would a "high honors" Kent student want to repeat 11th grade at another prestigious boarding school ?
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 37,568 Super Moderator
    There is not enough information here to give you any good counsel.
    Agreed. Additionally, the first thing Choate will ask (although they may phrase it more delicately) is what can Choate offer you that Kent does not? Hint: Not much.
  • jakobschultzjakobschultz Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Thanks for the advice; however, I do feel that Kent's art department is rather lackluster. My intentions are not to debase anyone but the art teachers at Kent are very controlling and thwart free thinking. The campus is drab and the dorms are in need of renovation or cleaning at least. Additionally the language department bought 20 iMacs and 20 macbook airs for the language lab which is exorbitant spending if they're only used for voice recording. Otherwise it's an okay school
    OP: Have you researched fine arts boarding schools ?
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 4,709 Senior Member
    the art teachers at Kent are very controlling and thwart free thinking
    Are you sure the teachers at Choate are any different? ;)

the dorms are in need of ... cleaning at least
    Definitely don't leave Kent if this is a major concern.
  • judbeeskijudbeeski Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    edited November 5
    Oh my! Now Kent = a drab campus and dirty dorms? It sure must have gone to heck PDQ since I was last there (Prize Day, Spring of 2018). Seriously though, if you are doing as well as you state (congrats!) and this is genuinely about artistic differences/artistic license and aesthetics, it makes far more sense to start looking all the fabulous art colleges you can apply to rather than be thinking about another boarding school.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 22,666 Forum Champion
    It seems to me that you are a junior high honors student at a prep school with a significant scholarship. I can't imagine you can replicate this situation elsewhere. Make the most of what Kent has to offer and continue excelling academically.
    Now that I look back on my post it does seem silly; however, there is a general consensus among my peers that Kent is in a rather dilapidated state in respects to facilities. However it is a bit too PC to say that Kent is just as good as Choate, Choate's prestigiousness obviously stems from somewhere
  • CaliMexCaliMex Registered User Posts: 1,005 Senior Member
    Chasing prestige and status is not a recipe for happiness or success....
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 37,568 Super Moderator
    edited November 5
    Choate's prestigiousness obviously stems from somewhere
    Likely the same nimrods who first came up with the anagram GLADCHEMMS . :)

Choate, like Kent, is a prep school. Prep being the operative word - they prepare you for college.Both will prepare you for college, and once you get to college, very very few people wil care where you prepped.

There may be valid reasons to continue one's education at Choate; you just have not mentioned any (valid) ones yet, IMO.
    I don't wanna waste any more time justifying my decisions it's personal preference that I feel Kent was poor fit for me, thanks for all your input
  • judbeeskijudbeeski Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    I am sorry Kent is not all that you had hoped for. I know how generous Kent is... and where those funds come from. It chafes a bit to read posts like yours. I beg you to please try to focus on the positives and do what you can to help better the your world, i.e. volunteering on campus or town or get involved with Kent's REACH program.I'm not completely ignorant here. Look closely at the photo. I know these places. ;) Best of luck.
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 4,454 Senior Member
    @jakobschultz , I'd try to figure out what isn't working for you at Kent and what is. If you can make some shifts in your life so that it involves more of what is going well and some shifts in your head to keep the focus on those things, you might be happier. You might want to talk to an advisor or teacher you trust -- almost everyone goes through some rough patches, and you may be feeling like you are more alone than you are. While it may not feel like it, most schools want their students to be happy.

With that said, i want to come to your defense on this. You don't need to justify your feelings -- they are yours and they are valid. Sometimes, we think something will be something it's not or that we'll feel differently about a situation than we do when we are in it or we don't grow into a situation the way we thought we would. One of best things that you can do with your current situation is to use it to figure out what IS a good fit for you. Applying to college is right around the corner for you, and you can use this experience to make a good choice then.

Wishing you the best...