right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Whittle School and Studios

ladycosmosladycosmos 14 replies7 threads Junior Member
I recently received an email from them but disregarded until now, has anyone applied to this school or looked into it?
14 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Whittle School and Studios

• CC4lifeCC4life 245 replies10 threads Junior Member
    edited February 2019
    I have heard that this school has gained a lot of attention in the press. It seems really interesting and quite unique it pretty much is using the NYU style of having different campuses across the world. Of course, they will have their first graduating class in 2019, so there is that negative of being young (it could be a plus depending on how you look at it). Ultimately, the people leading the project are incredibly qualified and incredible entrepreneurs NOT necessarily educators. I would definitely look into it, I personally am not applying but my twin brother is obsessed with it and he is applying this year.
    It is a definitely a new venture but from what I can tell they have teachers from some of the best schools in the world (Andover, Exeter, Deerfield, Eton, Schule Schloss Salem, etc).
    edited February 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • sparkatzzsparkatzz 200 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Our ex-head of school is taking a leadership position at Whittle. They seem to have a lot of resources although I personally wouldn't go simply because this year will be their first year operating.
    · Reply · Share
  • ilovechoateeeeeilovechoateeeee 396 replies15 threads Member
    I see ads for this school on Instagram! The campus looks really pretty
    · Reply · Share
  • friendtrooperfriendtrooper 24 replies2 threads Junior Member
    The Whittle School in Washington DC is a new school, opening in September. Is anyone familiar with it?
    · Reply · Share
    This thread offers a little bit of information about the school:

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/22001222#Comment_22001222
    · Reply · Share
  • friendtrooperfriendtrooper 24 replies2 threads Junior Member
    They told us that they “hoped” to have 20 boarders this year at the DC campus. It is a great concept with many progressive people involved. The problem is that what they want it to ultimately be will not come to fruition for many years....therefore the kids enrolled on the front end will not be a part of that “vision” as it will take quite some time to achieve it.
    · Reply · Share
  • NantarNantar 17 replies4 threads Junior Member
    It's a for profit school, so I'm not sure it can ever be accredited by any legitimate accrediting agency.
    · Reply · Share
    @Nantar a lot of private schools are "for profit." Granted none of the major schools discussed on this board are, but a lot of really good private schools throughout the country are for profit and the only real difference is they pay taxes, don't file 990 forms, and also can't build endowments.
    · Reply · Share
  • sparkatzzsparkatzz 200 replies2 threads Junior Member
    edited May 2019
    I guess I don't really know how it works, but what usually do for-profit schools' profit model look like? Like, where do their profits come from other than tuition?
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • wasdcscholarwasdcscholar 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Yes, I will be attending this school in a few days. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out!
    · Reply · Share
    This comment is absolutely bias. I know plenty of kids for which were rejected/ wait listed. The peers in which I am attending school with are immensely talented, and have received offers from several different top prep schools. Myself being Exeter and Lawrenceville.
    · Reply · Share
    Hello Everyone! I will be attending the Whittle School & Studios this upcoming academic year. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out!
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 23361 replies2313 threads Senior Member
    edited August 2019
    Looks like these schools were started by Chris Whittle who also started Channel One, Edison Schools, and Nations Academy. Will be interesting to see how these schools do.
    edited August 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • abracadabra0abracadabra0 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Hi! I am considering applying and I was hoping you could answer a few of my questions...
    What final exams are available for grade 12 students?
    How are the dorm rooms? Dorm life? Food? Laundry? Weekend activities?
    Are you allowed to go to the city alone (after/before school)?
    How is the athletics program?
    Is it very challenging academically overall?
    What were your scores that got you accepted?
    Thanks!
    · Reply · Share