right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

CDB Scholarship

Meredith.jiangMeredith.jiang 0 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
I was selected as a CDB finalist and am scheduled to interview. How should I prepare for the interview?
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: CDB Scholarship

• Erin's DadErin's Dad 33080 replies3752 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    What is CDB?
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 38873 replies6865 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    What is CDB?
    Caroline D. Bradley Scholarship. So this thread belongs in the Prep School Forum, which I will move.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChristmasDickensChristmasDickens 19 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Please review previous comments from me and others that outline the process and what to expect. Bonnie just posted the following which can be helpful: https://educationaladvancement.org/how-iea-evaluates-caroline-d-bradley-scholarship-applicants/
    · Reply · Share
  • Alqbamine32Alqbamine32 6 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    edited July 6
    Hello. Can any previous recipients of this scholarship or the Jack Kent Cooke Young Scholars program help me understand how these high school scholarships works with financial aid from a boarding school? As I understand it, the CDB scholarship covers day student tuition. The web site says "the Scholarship can be used toward a boarding school but only covers day student tuition. The room and boarding components of the school’s costs, as well as any/all other fees (textbooks, lab materials, medical, laundry, travel) must be covered by the Scholar’s family or another source, such as financial aid directly from the school." However, I am confused about how the two sources of funding (scholarship plus financial aid) work together, and I am hoping that some past scholars have the answer.

To give a hypothetical example:
    If day tuition at a prep school is $40,000 and room + board is an additional $10,000, I understand that the CDB scholarship will only cover the $40,000 not the room and board (or books, fees and other expenses). But if the EFC for the family is $2,000, without the CDB scholarship, the child would normally received $48,000 in financial aid while the parents pay $2000. Thus, with the scholarship, would most boarding schools typically still kick in $8000 in financial aid, and the parents would pay $2,000?

I could see several scenarios occurring.
    1. The CDB scholarship replacing the prep school's financial aid process and the family actually ends up owing 10K to the school. That seems like a pretty horrible outcome (assuming that absent the scholarship, the child would have been admitted with full need met, which I understand might not have happened).
    2. The boarding school "stacks" the awards so that the foundation covers 40K, the boarding school covers 8K and the parents still owe 2K. This seems like a neutral outcome in which the child gets the honor of winning the award plus the mentoring, and summer programming, but financially, the parents are pretty much in the same place as if their child had gotten full need met in the school's financial aid process.
    3. The boarding school "stacks" the awards so that the foundation covers 40K, the boarding school covers 10K for room+board, and the parents pay $0.
    4. The boarding school "stacks" the awards so that the foundation covers 40K, the boarding school covers all of the rest and uses some of their financial aid budget to cover expenses like travel, school trips, laundry, health insurance, books, music lessons, tutoring, SAT prep and other costs that are sometimes "extra" on top of the tuition bill.

The last two scenarios are ideal, and the prep school is still saving significant financial aid dollars that can be used for another student given that it would ordinarily be trying to provide $48K to meet the family's need rather than just 10-15K. Yet, from my knowledge of schools, I suspect that scenario #2 is more typical. Anyway, I am hoping that #3 or #4 might be the result of this process, but neither scholarship's web pages are that clear. I understand that the answer may also vary from school to school. Thanks.
    edited July 6
    · Reply · Share
  • Alqbamine32Alqbamine32 6 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    I thought that I'd just ask the above question one more time in case someone knows the answer and the question got lost among more popular topics.

Perhaps the lack of a response is a sign that most Caroline D. Bradley families have such high incomes that they would not otherwise be eligible for much financial aid. Hard to know. My other question is whether these scholarships would impact the financial aid given to a sibling. In other words, if the CDB or Cooke recipient has a younger sibling who is also enrolled in a private middle or elementary school, would the sibling's school be likely to increase the family's EFC since they would now be only paying one child's tuition instead of two children's tuition? Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • Jli011Jli011 6 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    edited August 21
    Sorry this is late! I’m a CDB scholar, but my parents are fortunate enough to not need additional financial aid in order to cover the room and board fees. I didn’t apply for aid because I didn’t want to take away money from other students that needed it more than me, per se. (That being said, I would probably be covered under my school’s generous financial aid program.) I’m not completely sure on a definitive answer, but I will say that either 2, 3, or 4 will occur. The high school usually works pretty closely with the CDB people to determine the amount of financial aid a student needs, so in the end it will be a matter of what the student’s family situation is. I know for sure that situation 1 would not happen because I had the choice to also apply for additional financial aid from the school, I just chose not to. As for your second post, again, it would depend on the overall family situation. The financial aid would be calculated the same as before, and it depends on the school.

I know this isn’t a super definitive answer, but if you want you could reach out to some of the people at CDB and send them an email. Some of these questions seem to be purely hypothetical, though.
    edited August 21
    · Reply · Share