right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Is a B in Accelerated Math Acceptable?

KellyJoeKellyJoe 3 replies1 threads New Member
edited October 11 in Prep School Admissions
Can anyone advise a prospective Boarding School parent whose student is averaging a B on the advanced track in math, whether this is viewed any better than a student with an A on the regular math track?
edited October 11
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is a B in Accelerated Math Acceptable?

• gardenstategalgardenstategal 5849 replies10 threads Senior Member
    Don't sweat it. Most BS are pretty rigorous. They will appreciate that you are pushing yourself.

BUT this would be a good chance to figure out what you would need to do to do better. If you are thinking you are understanding but are finding you aren't, could you "test" yourself sooner and address the issue? Could you talk to your teacher about concepts you don't understand? Are you studying the wrong way (wrong topics, too much cramming at the last minute?) Do you need more practice? Do you try to re-do homework/test problems you got wrong?If it's hard, are you putting it off to the end of your study when you aren't completely "on"?

Most of us have to learn how to learn as the challenges get harder. Because BS will be harder, it's good to start working on this now.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 39568 replies7174 threads Super Moderator
    Is it acceptable? Yes. Is it viewed as better? No. We can split hairs arguing whether a B in an accelerated class is different than an A in a standard class, but the reality is that there are kids with an A in an accelerated class. And I can go into a whole tirade as to why "better"needs to be removed from the vocabulary of every kid (and their parents) applying to school.
    · Reply · Share
  • KellyJoeKellyJoe 3 replies1 threads New Member
    @gardenstategal Actually, I'm asking about my daughter. She doesn't have a B yet as the grading period is not over. However, she got a B+ on a quiz, which is unusual for her. I have encouraged her to take advantage of the teacher's help sessions, which she finally reluctantly did. Since she wants to go to BS (her dream btw, not mine), I just wanted to get a sense of how it would be viewed if she does end up with a B on her report card. Other parents are panicking and petitioning to have their kids put back in regular math so an A is virtually guaranteed. I didn't want to do that and more importantly, my daughter doesn't want that either. She enjoys a challenge.

@skieurope I agree! I probably should have worded my question better.
    · Reply · Share
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal 5849 replies10 threads Senior Member
    @KellyJoe, I don't think it'll be a problem. In my mind, it's a problem if a kid isn't mastering the material because math concepts build on each other. But if a kid likes a challenge, works hard, and doesn't come undone when things don't go perfectly, all is well. Personally, I hate the approach of dropping down simply for the optics. It really sends all the wrong messages!
    · Reply · Share
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5300 replies246 threads Senior Member
    Someone please explain why a B/B+ requires any type of concern or remediation?
    Other parents are panicking and petitioning to have their kids put back in regular math so an A is virtually guaranteed.

Virtually guaranteed As are meaningless but have become the benchmark of education. This is not the boarding school paradigm where most of the student population comprises B students, well-educated B students. ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 1120 replies20 threads Senior Member
    Time for Boarding School Ree-al -it-Tee! The inner GolfGr8 in me is channeling what it is like to tee off from the Back Tips and not from the Senior Gold tee box....👩‍🎓⛳️

I am agreeing with @ChoatieMom on this one...If you are a parent considering a competitive boarding school or one of the schools frequently mentioned on CC, please adjust your expectations - at least for the good and well being of your child. We are here to support those of you experiencing your first (or your child’s first) B or B+. You have found a place of support and understanding - mostly judgement-free. Please know it is with good intentions that I suggest the following: It will not be the last time your child earns a B or B+ in BS. Guaranteed! It will be OK!

Try to focus less on the grade at this point and more on the process. The type of math items may be different now for your student in BS. For example, maybe more “reach” problems of application and concepts - less drilling and set-ups of equations. More conceptual, less repetition. Also, the pace is faster in high school math and it’s been our experience that the pace is faster at BS.

For you parents who are starting this process: Please realize that many boarding schools actually have grade compression and grade deflation. Look at the grade distributions - generally available. Math is taught differently. Sometimes, without following a text book. Very different than most public high schools or local private day schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5300 replies246 threads Senior Member
    It will not be the last time your child earns a B or B+ in BS.

Or a C or a D...

It's all good. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • one1ofeachone1ofeach 194 replies9 threads Junior Member
    But I also think it’s important to realize that if you are applying to the most well known schools you are competing with kids who got all A+’s in every class they took - honors or not. That is why it’s not a great idea to apply to only the most name recognized schools if your kid is not that kind of kid or doesn’t want to go to school with a lot of that kind of kid.

In general a B isn’t holding anyone back in life. (But I get the stress - I have a junior and college is looming - makes me second guess every time I’ve said “whatever” to a B. 😂)
    · Reply · Share
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 1120 replies20 threads Senior Member
    Hint & Help on the subject of math .... Even if you were in accelerated math throughout MS and did well on SSAT math, jumping up to high school at BS can feel like a gigantic leap. Taking an accelerated math at BS was a whole level beyond due to pace, as well as the content. Warp speed. For math and sciences - be sure your MS student has strong skills and comfort with metrics and utilization of metrics at the start. This may save you time and stress when you hit BS math and science. For math, know Functions (f of x) might be something you had a bite of in MS, but there is a lot of it in high school. Hope this helps.
    · Reply · Share