right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Boarding schools that offer full four-year tuition?

sparkle7esparkle7e 6 replies1 threads New Member
Are there any non religious boarding high schools that offer full four-year tuition purely based on Merit = Academics + Extra curriculars + Leadership?
14 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Boarding schools that offer full four-year tuition?

• one1ofeachone1ofeach 527 replies13 threads Member
    Most boarding schools are non religious, even the ones designated as episcopal. Most boarding schools offer FA based on demonstrated need, not because of ECs or leadership (not sure what you even mean by that).
    · Reply · Share
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 1188 replies20 threads Senior Member
    To the OP - are you looking for boarding in the USA, in Canada, or overseas?
    · Reply · Share
  • TheHappinessFundTheHappinessFund 118 replies11 threads Junior Member
    I have a friend that got a fp 4 year scholarship at Culver Academies, in Indiana? They're pretty generous with financial aid and have lots of scholarships. Though it might not be as highly ranked compared to schools like Exeter/Andover, my friend seems to be happy there.
    I'm applying there this year, among other schools.
    --Side note, if you're male, they're military, and for girls there's a uniform. That might be off-putting to some people, idk.
    · Reply · Share
  • sparkle7esparkle7e 6 replies1 threads New Member
    edited December 2019
    @Golfgr8 Thanks, in the US. And my interests / skills are in creative writing, film studies and golf
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal 6127 replies10 threads Senior Member
    I think most give full FA to students who can't afford BS. I am struggling to think of any that are free to students who can afford it but don't want to pay just "because". Depending on country of origin, UWC, which is 2 years might be that.
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 9221 replies343 threads Senior Member
    How much are your parents willing/able to pay? If they can't afford for you to dorm maybe you could attend a private day school.
    · Reply · Share
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 1188 replies20 threads Senior Member
    To @sparkle7e - you should check out Groton’s GRAIN program. They give a lot of FA. In addition to the well known schools frequently mentioned on CC, you should look at some in the Mid-Atlantic region. Also, you may want to check out the single gender schools - many have very generous FA and also some have special scholarships if you are from a particular country, region, state, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • carpoolingmacarpoolingma 748 replies8 threads Member
    @sparkle7e Peddie has a full 4 year merit scholarship that covers tuition, boarding, fees and a travel stipend. It also has a merit scholarship that covers tuition only and merit scholarships that are for a flat amount towards tuition. The information is available on their website. Best of luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • momof3swimmersmomof3swimmers 389 replies5 threads Member
    Baylor has a 4 year scholarship.
    · Reply · Share
  • sparkle7esparkle7e 6 replies1 threads New Member
    @gardenstategal It is definitely not just "because".
    · Reply · Share
    You asked about merit rather than need. If you have demonstrated need, there are quite a few schools that have very generous aid policies. It is awarded to students bringing something valuable to the community, but it doesn't have to be a specific thing. But it is generally accepted that these students will be very capable academically.
    · Reply · Share
  • one1ofeachone1ofeach 527 replies13 threads Member
    Many schools have very substantial financial aid. At both my kids' schools almost half the kids are on FA.
    · Reply · Share
    Yes, at DS' school, it was more than half that received FA. Of course, the number getting 100% FA was small.
    · Reply · Share
  • snapchatsnapchat 209 replies11 threads Junior Member
    edited January 5
    A lot of boarding schools are not merit-based, rather they offer FA on the account of demonstrated need. I attend my school with an FA package in the high 90s discounting tuition. To be fair, many schools are also need-aware so they will account for your portfolio in determining the FA package they offer.
    edited January 5
    · Reply · Share