right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
COMING SOON "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. This event is exclusively for registered members. CREATE YOUR CC ACCOUNT NOW to receive event updates!

Convince me to repeat 9th grade

iusedtobesmartiusedtobesmart 69 replies8 threads Junior Member
I'm applying to PA and PEA (I would only go to BS if I get in to one of these, my home school is just as good as any of the safety or mid-top-tier schools).

I skipped 8th grade.
I'm in 9th now at my local hs, I kinda hate it a bit which is why I'm trying to apply to those schools.
I'm taking an extremely rigorous curriculum, with 3 APs (chem, lang, psych) and 3 DE classes (calc 1, calc 2, into to ethics) and 4 honors classes (debate 2, art, french 3, rocketry 1)
I havent taken the SSAT yet, but I expect a very high score bc i got a perfect score on the psat 8/9 and am scoring very well on practice tests.

People (my mom, people on this site) have been telling me to repeat 9th grade because it'll be an easier adjustment socially.

My problem is, will I be forced to take lower level classes than I may have been placed in if I applied for 10th? Will i run out of math classes?
Does the classics diploma actually carry much weight? Would it be worth it to stay back just for that?

My birthday is in early November, making me one of the oldest kids in my current class. I honestly kind of like being around kids older than me because then there's less of an expectation for me to be the most mature, and it makes me feel like I have a cushion; if I say or do something kind of stupid, I can just mention my age and it absolves me

So, convince me
37 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Convince me to repeat 9th grade

• skieuropeskieurope 40411 replies7504 threads Super Moderator
    will I be forced to take lower level classes than I may have been placed in if I applied for 10th?
    No
    Will i run out of math classes?
    No
    Does the classics diploma actually carry much weight?
    No. Not only does it not carry much weight, it carries no weight. If you like classics, do the program. If it's not your thing, don't do it.
    · Reply · Share
  • iusedtobesmartiusedtobesmart 69 replies8 threads Junior Member
    What math do they have after linear algebra? I looked on their course schedule, I would be taking multivariable and linear algebra the first year, andover i think has diff equations, but i think exeter stops there
    what would I do for math after that?
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 40411 replies7504 threads Super Moderator
    edited January 22
    Speak to the math faculty, but I have never known a person who exhausted the math curriculum. Andover has a rotating slate of post-DE/LA/MVC topics.
    edited January 22
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 9481 replies117 threads Senior Member
    Study of classics that involves study of Latin & Greek languages can help with college admissions as some classics programs are struggling to attract students.
    · Reply · Share
    Limiting oneself to just Andover or Exeter is a bit shortsighted in my opinion.

Milton Academy, for example, might be another to consider as would several other highly selective boarding schools.
    · Reply · Share
    They're the absolute best, and like I said, if i dont get in to one of them, ill stay at public school
    · Reply · Share
  • mondaydevilmondaydevil 179 replies9 threads Junior Member
    "The absolute best" is very relative, to be honest. It's all about what you want in a school and you should try looking at other schools before you fixate yourself on just those two.
    · Reply · Share
  • one1ofeachone1ofeach 723 replies17 threads Member
    You will not run out of math. There are several 9th-grade students at my son's school who are taking AP calculus BC this year. They have zero fear of running out of math because a teacher will simply create and tailor a class for them.
    · Reply · Share
    Just convince me people! Tell me horror stories about kids who have stupid amounts of hw and kids socially isolated because of their age and stuff idk
    · Reply · Share
    edited January 22
    While Andover & Exeter have the two largest endowments among boarding schools in the continental US, it is unclear how to rate them as the top two best prep boarding schools.

Assertions such as: "They're the absolute best..." without more explanation suggests a lack of knowledge about other boarding schools.
    edited January 22
    · Reply · Share
  • one1ofeachone1ofeach 723 replies17 threads Member
    They're the absolute best, and like I said, if i dont get in to one of them, ill stay at public school

It is statements like this that made me think you might be young/immature for your age. Hence my suggestion to repeat.

If your own mother suggests you repeat why on earth would any of us need to convince you? Listen to your mother, she knows you far better than we do! We are strangers on the internet vs your mother who cares wholeheartedly about you and your future.
    · Reply · Share
    she meant it as an option, not as the thing i should do. She knows nothing about BS.

My school choices are just because I know the most about these schools, and they have the lowest acceptance rates, highest necessary SSAT score, and a lot of rigor. I'm a davidson ys, and my mom's talked to a bunch of parents from all over who are also members and they've all said that they're unmatched.
    · Reply · Share
    So. Should I, or should I not, repeat? @one1ofeach , don't try to convince me anymore. tell me what I should do, and I will do it.
    · Reply · Share
    @one1ofeach , my future rests in your hands
    · Reply · Share
  • 417WHB417WHB 189 replies4 threads Junior Member
    How about letting the schools know you'd consider repeating, and let them decide? I know two kids who applied last year and got acceptances (to acronym schools) both for 9th and 10th grade. The admissions people are best suited to see the class composition and decide where you fit. And yes, if you go to 9th grade you will take most classes with other 9th graders, that is the point. You will get placement for math and foreign language. Starting with LA in 9th grade is OTT even for top boarding schools though, BC calc is the highest level class any 9th graders are in.
    · Reply · Share
  • CaliMexCaliMex 1984 replies34 threads Senior Member
    BTW: Most top schools have Math faculty with PhDs. If you exhaust what is in the current course catalog, they are perfectly capable of creating a class just for you.

I'd let the schools decide what is best. They know the culture and social environment best. You want to thrive emotionally and socially, too, not just academically.
    · Reply · Share
    edited January 22
    (Your definition of "absolute best" reflects a lack of understanding of boarding schools. There are lots of brilliant people who are lousy at standardized tests and yet go on to achieve great things in the world. Admitting those with high scores is one way to game school rankings that are based on scores. But having students who are good test takers does not mean that your teachers or curriculum is better. BTW: There are schools with even lower acceptance rates than the ones you are applying to..)
    edited January 22
    · Reply · Share
    @one1ofeach JInx! I think we were typing our answers simultaneously!
    · Reply · Share
  • 417WHB417WHB 189 replies4 threads Junior Member
    I think the 'best' when talking about Andover/Exeter is related to their name recognition more than acceptance rate. They are the boarding schools people most likely have heard of and are likely to be impressed by, if they know any boarding schools at all. And they send most kids to HYP, which is the other thing people seem to really care about. Given their size the acceptance rate is higher than some smaller schools.

That is not to say I would ever advocate anyone to choose just those two schools to apply to (we did not even look at either) but that's the justification people use when they make the call that they are the only ones worth the money. The deadlines have passed for most schools now anyway, so let's just hope OP may get in one of them. Sounds like she has solid local back up if not.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity