right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Northern Outdoorsy Schools

AnnieEmAnnieEm 1 replies1 threads New Member
I'm afraid I won't get many responses as several of these schools are not really discussed here on the board, but hoping someone will be able to chime in!

I'm definitely less concerned with prestige and more interested in fit. I am looking for a school with a robust outdoor program and one that may be "less preppy" than many other schools. I am very interested in math and excel there and I'm also heavily into endurance sports and am really hoping to get into both nordic skiing and crew at BS. Some of the schools I'm looking at seem to be popular here, but can't find as much info on the below.

Is there anyone here who can answer some specific questions about:
Proctor
Putney
Northwood
Dublin

Thanks!
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Northern Outdoorsy Schools

• Golfgr8Golfgr8 1630 replies24 threads Senior Member
    Did you check out Holderness? Or Kimball Union Academy?
    · Reply · Share
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal 6670 replies10 threads Senior Member
    Look at Kents Hill as well.
    · Reply · Share
  • Happytimes2001Happytimes2001 2145 replies18 threads Senior Member
    For skiing, Holderness is/was the one. Also, you can check a database to see who offers both skiing and crew. There are kids at every school who are outdoorsy. Many tend to run XC and do downhill skiing. Not as sure about crew. Though it seems like anyone willing to get up at 5 to row must love being outside :)
    There are also many preppy kids at every prep school but also many others.
    You can also check to see which may have outdoor Semester programs, like Semester at Sea or other programs.
    · Reply · Share
    If you are willing to go to Canada, check out Brentwood College School on Vancouver Island. WOW!
    · Reply · Share
  • AnnieEmAnnieEm 1 replies1 threads New Member
    Golfgr8, I totally have looked at Brentwood College...it looks amazing. The only thing is that I'm on east coast, so that is a consideration, but I want to apply to a lot so I have choices....There are so many amazing schools....

So what I meant by "outdoorsy" was that the school actually has an outdoor program - access and events to the mountains and recreational activities in the out of doors. this is a big part of some schools.

You can search on boarding school review and get a full list of schools that have these two sports! I guess by preppy I meant the general vibe. I'm not interested in dressing up for class everyday. I'm really not interested in a lot of "formal" events although I know all schools have these, but they are all really different. Of course every school has kids of all kinds, but there are definitely different focuses and vibes at different schools.

I was asking about the above schools because I've not found as many posts on here as other schools.

Is there a reason there aren't a lot of people outside some of the most popular schools don't come here?
    · Reply · Share
  • parentofnicekidparentofnicekid 49 replies3 threads Junior Member
    Mercersburg doesn't have crew, but they have a well developed outdoors program (at least to me). My child did it as an activity/sport for one term and they did a lot of hiking and kayaking (and I'm sure other stuff). While we have a lot of the gear from camp, the school provides all equipment, including jackets and hiking backpacks, for the kids. I think because they are next to a small ski mountain, they also have downhill skiing (I don't know about nordic).
    · Reply · Share
  • stalecookiesstalecookies 112 replies6 threads Junior Member
    @AnnieEm I suspect that the reason that people from these schools post less is a matter of fit. ;) It can be intimidating to be the only one posting who is not interested in any of the GLADCHEMMS schools.

The school my child liked best said for the interview, "Come as you are."

Another school that would in theory be a better fit, and is mentioned here more often as a GLADCHEMMS alternative - well, all the other interviewees were wearing suits. We were wearing what we would if going to church, not a funeral/memorial service.

I have no insights into the schools that you mentioned. I can only say that in spite of "rankings" there are plenty of people that go on to excel in STEM fields after attending schools like those you are interested in. There's math everywhere - it's universal, after all, so you are wise to focus on the other activities.
    · Reply · Share
    Just another idea for you all looking for outdoor activities: Do look at the EC’s offered at the boarding schools. We know a few schools that offer fly fishing, kayaking, skiing, hiking, etc. Feel free to PM me.

· Reply · Share
  • andaluandalu 6 replies2 threads New Member
    Maybe look at White Mountain School - very big on outdoors, skiing, kayaking and rockclimbing
    · Reply · Share