Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

thy graceful && most prestigious

wickedcrazywickedcrazy Registered User Posts: 484 Member
edited August 2008 in Prep School Admissions
Yes, I know what all you loverlies are going to say-- prestige is not everything, find the school that fits you, matriculation is still stellar in smaller schools-- and I completely agree. I don't think that prestige is anything, or much at all, but right now, in this thread, I'm asking what people PERCEIVE to be the best, most prestigious, bs. Thanks!
Post edited by wickedcrazy on

Replies to: thy graceful && most prestigious

• hellosunshinehellosunshine Registered User Posts: 298 Junior Member
    prestigious? exeter.
    best? nmh. : )
  • SportincourtySportincourty Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    Hand down Exeter for prestigious (not biased).
    Best: (biased) Exeter.
  • wickedcrazywickedcrazy Registered User Posts: 484 Member
    J'ADORE exeter...
  • westcoast_westcoast_ Registered User Posts: 773 Member
    nobody gives groton any credit :P
    when it comes to prestige, i usually think of the word "elite". and personally, i think groton should be up there in the TSAO, playing crew on the same field as exeter, andover, sps, hotchkiss, and choate
    (have we forgotten hotchkiss? i never see it coming up anymore on the threads, esp. after the whole "THEY WAITLISTED EVERYONE" fiasco)
  • risingjuniorrisingjunior Registered User Posts: 252 Junior Member
    according to the sociology textbook Brown University gives you (and I promise it's true, I have it in my hands right now)....
    the prestigious for being elite: St. Grottlesex
    the prestigious for being the oldest: exeter/andover
    the 2nd tier of prestige: Choate, Hotchkiss, Kent

I don't know how much I agree with that (although I was happy to see Middlesex in that top tier when I read it for class) but it's an unbiased (or, I think unbiased. Maybe the author went to one of the above schools)
    But it's an old book, first printed in 1991.

In my opinion, exeter/andover just have to be the most prestigious. Until I had friends go or I started looking, they were the only one's I had heard of (yay for the south!) except for Darlington in Georgia.
  • bballprepbballprep Registered User Posts: 431 Member
    don't forget choate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    personally, for me, EXETER seems one of the toppiest-- yes.

What I think

Exeter
    Andover
    Deerfield
    Choate
    SPS
    Groton

Hotchkiss
    Lawrenceville
    etc
  • bballprepbballprep Registered User Posts: 431 Member
    i've never liked exeter and andover....(plz don't hurt me e/a lovers)
    :P

choate
    hotchkiss
    lawrencerville
    sps
    deerfield
    groton
    idk more....

:)
  • VF08VF08 Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    As an Exonian it pains me to say this, but if you call Exeter that most prestigious, you've got to put Andover up there. Fact is, a lot of people think they're the same school, so basically when they hear "Phillips" they think "oh wow great school!"

Really, though, boarding school in general is prestigious.
  • NEprepgoerNEprepgoer Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    personally I agree with Andover/Exeter.
    I think Hotchkiss and Groton should be in there too
  • prettyckittyprettyckitty Registered User Posts: 1,363 Senior Member
    VF08 is right. All competition aside, almost any Phillipian will admit that there is no school in the world more like Andover than Exeter. If one is prestigious, then the other is.
    First Tier:
    Deerfield, St. Paul's, Andover, Exeter, Hotchkiss, Choate, Groton
    Second Tier:
    Milton, St. Mark's, St. Sebastian's, Lawrenceville, Lawrence, Hill, Kent, Loomis, Taft, Middlesex.
  • cglencglen Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    i completely disagree on the fact of st sebastian's being anywhere near prestigious--- i don't know a single person that applied and wasn't accepted. and they weren't all smart.

as for st pauls, my mother taught there and they don't even give out real grades, and acceptance rates are pretty high
    I disagree-- cglen. Not with the St Sebastians, that I think I agree, but St Pauls is certainly a top boarding school. I know lots of alums, I've visited, and it cetainly was well run, efficient, smart kids, smart people. What is the acceptance rate?
  • creative1creative1 Registered User Posts: 1,657 Senior Member
    cglen - You consider acceptance rates of 18-21% high for that is what SPS has had for several years. Perhaps your mom worked there many decades ago??

Also, to correct misinformation, SPS does give out real grades. They are not ABC grades, however. They use a different system which you can find on their website in the student handbook. I can also assure you that there is no grade inflation at SPS. Most students there will see their grades drop vs. the school they previously attended. The equivalent of a straight A student at SPS is very rare.
    I agree, creative1. Are you a student at SPS?
This discussion has been closed.