Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Financial Aid and Admission Rates

dancelovex3dancelovex3 Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
edited July 2008 in Prep School Admissions
What are some schools that have a large financial aid endowment size but also a fairly high admission acceptance?

Because I won't be able to go to boarding school unless I get financial aid we have a income of less then $50,000, but also I don't get those fantastic straight A report cards.

What are some schools that would be good for me?
Post edited by dancelovex3 on

Replies to: Financial Aid and Admission Rates

• tubachicktubachick - Posts: 809 Member
    I'm in the same boat too if anyone is willing to give info.

I know of Exeter Groton and St. Pauls give free for under 50,000, but I know their admissions are really low.
  • emmers44emmers44 Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    for girls, miss hall's! AMAZING school! GREAT fa and scholarships available that are allowing me to go this fall. good acceptance rate too. look and give it a shot.
  • hsmomstefhsmomstef Registered User Posts: 3,579 Senior Member
    It really all comes down to fit -- not every school expects straight A's and super-talents. Kids are accepted into school that don't have huge endowments and given great aid -- while other kids get into schools with large endowments and get no aid. Your strategy needs to be more than just applying to schools with large endowments and higher admission rates. You need to find matches for your interests.

What kind of GPA do you have and what grade will you be in this fall?

What are you looking for in a BS?
  • dancelovex3dancelovex3 Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    I have around a 3.0 GPA. And I'll be in 10th grade this fall.
  • sbergmansbergman Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    Take a look at St. Andrew's-Sewanee School (www.sasweb.org). They have a liberal financial aid policy (40% of the student body receives aid) and they're mission includes educating a diverse student body - including intellectually diverse.
    Schools to look at: Conserve, Culver, NMH, Midland, Putney. They may not have large endowments (Midland's is only $4 million), but all have given past students excellent FA packages.

Again -- it all comes down to what you have to offer the school and how well you fit.

Also -- when looking at schools, look past the endowment amount. Look at the endowment per pupil, the average grant per pupil, the % of kids on FA. Also contact schools and ask if they include loans in all FA packages (even those with income less than $50,000) and if they have a minimum amount you will pay for tuition/room/board (in other words -- even if you have a $0 EFC, you have to pay $3000).

Remember that BS will still be expensive even if you get full grants for tuition/room/board. Travel is getting more and more expensive (plane tickets and the bus to get to the airport) fees, books, supplies for the dorm and school, sports equipment and more. Not saying it can't be done -- just make sure that you know going in what the cost will be.
  • kwukwu Registered User Posts: 4,759 Senior Member
    I'm asking on behalf of my kid cousin:

Do these schools undergo a comprehensive process like that involved in college admissions? Is it merely income, or does it also include assets?
    It is just as comprehensive as the college process -- in fact, you can use the same calculators to get an idea of your EFC (use the institutional method, not the federal method).

Assets are definitely considered -- including college funds in the kids names. As with college, official retirement accounts are not counted as available funds.
  • intrigueintrigue Registered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    If I remember correctly, Exeter now gives admission free for any family whose income is under $75000, but the admission rate is low.
This discussion has been closed.