Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

G20 Schools

principalviolaprincipalviola - Posts: 2,418 Senior Member
edited May 2012 in Prep School Admissions
Are these schools around the world that are HEADS GCM level? I know not all of the top American schools are in that group, but doing a quick search some seem just as good as top American schools.

Seems like if you want a great international experience before coming back to the US for college one could try one of these schools. Anyone familiar?
Post edited by principalviola on

Replies to: G20 Schools

• principalviolaprincipalviola - Posts: 2,418 Senior Member
    Any clue, anyone?
  • lemons.can.flylemons.can.fly Registered User Posts: 184 Junior Member
    This would be very helpful for me, too!

Anyone? :]
    G20 Schools are a group of 20 highly selective leading independent secondary schools. Founding schools originated in Africa, Australia, Britain, Europe, Hong Kong, Jordan, Turkey and the United States.

Australia: The King's School, Parramatta (Sydney), Melbourne Grammar School, St Peter's College (Adelaide) and Scotch College (Melbourne)
    Canada: Appleby College (Oakville)
    Hong Kong: Diocesan Girls' School, Kowloon
    India: The Doon School, Dehra Dun
    Jordan: King's Academy
    South Africa: St Andrews, Bishops Diocesan College, St. Cyprian's School and St Stithians College
    Switzerland: International School of Geneva
    Turkey: Robert College, Istanbul
    United Kingdom: Eton College, Marlborough College, Sevenoaks School and Wellington College, Berkshire
    United States: Buckingham Browne & Nichols (MA), Deerfield Academy (MA), Detroit Catholic Central High School (MI), Harvard-Westlake School (CA), Phillips Academy (MA), Hotchkiss School (CT), Lawrenceville School (NJ).

Activities

The group facilitates student exchanges, teacher exchange and allows final year students to take a "Gap Year" at a G20 school. The latest G20 summit occurred in April 2008 at the King's Academy, Jordan. The 2010 G20 Conference will take place in Australia
  • pan1956pan1956 Registered User Posts: 528 Member
    PV, what is the cost of attending these institutions? And, given the strength of the dollar, is it safe to assume that they are a good buy for those who earn dollars? Finally, what did you think of Barack's performance in Mexico City?
    The institutions other than the British and American ones cost around thirty thousand. Doon costs eleven thousand except for first year. And I am glad that we will see an increased rate of legal abortions as opposed to coat hanger abortions.

Edit: Mexico City as in the ban on international government funding for abortion? Implanted by RR? Or his visit dealing with immigration and drugs. I do like the idea to stop all this drug trafficking but I believe he has some other issues to work on.
    I am familiar with the Doon School because my uncle's father went there. They are probably the most prestigious school in India and have the most prominent Indians conferred as alumni. The financial diversity is different than it is in the US. They have been offering grants as of late, but not close to the magnitude that Exeter and such have. In country tuition is under nine thousand, however. Making it far more affordable, in American terms. That being said, few Indians can afford such a luxury, as nine thousand (if you account for PPP) would be like thirty thousand here.
  • cdnhockeymomcdnhockeymom Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    I can only speak to the Canadian one which may give insight perhaps to the other countries...Appleby is a very good school but not the best. It would be comparable to those referred to as tier 2 on this forum
    From what I hear it is VERY expensive for what it provides.
  • chinghkchinghk Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    the two schools from Hong Kong on the list are two the best schools in the city.
  • gonnastopgonnastop Registered User Posts: 555 Member
    Do all the schools take int'l students??? I want to apply!
  • sikhmansikhman Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    I went to King's in Australia, and cost is quite high. Tuition fees range from about (in AUD) $15k-$25k, and boarding costs are another $10-15k on top of that. Plus as an international student, you have to pay a couple of extra thousand per year. Plus all your expenses, uniform, school supplies etc. It ends up being a lot of money unless you're on a scholarship (I was lucky enough to be on one).
    Scholarship?!!!!! Wait so how much did you get? Is it merit-based? Are there many int'l kids?

(hey seriously I'm thinking about applying. There ARE fabulous school outside America!)
  • sikhmansikhman Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Yeah there are merit and need based scholarships. Yes, there are quite a few international students. But it is pretty hard to get a scholarship if you're an international. I'm from Australia, so it wasn't that bad.
  • schrodingerscatschrodingerscat Registered User Posts: 232 Junior Member
    I know people at all of those except for Kings, and they seem to be really good. Scotch has fantastic facilities... and I'm sure that the others do too. I'd have thought that Sydney Grammar would've been one of the best private schools in Australia though - it's very well represented at the olympiads. Consider that too, if you want.
    Just found out that all the Australian schools listed are all-boys.

Please share your insight! Thanks!!!
This discussion has been closed.